Timing for starting a flock

I'm ordering my chicks from Meyer Hatchery, I've heard great things about them and they have all the breeds that I want. They'll arrive April 3 or 4th.
I've tried Meyer, McMurray and MPC and by far, hands down MPC is blowing them out of the water with shipping costs and minimum numbers. Unless I'm getting duped I'll be using My Pet Chicken.

Last edited:
I have reached out to several local farms, hatcheries and individuals because I would rather buy locally. Two of two farms have not contacted me back, 1 of three hatcheries has not contacted back and the two that did do not sex their birds and the individuals I've spoken with have been very helpful but timing is the issue.

This being my first go at chickens I would like them to be social for us as I'm sure that makes it more enjoyable.

It really seems like the mail order hatchery is the way to go (at least for me) because you get what you want, when you want. Hopefully the sexing turns out well but nothing is guaranteed.
If the local hatcheries allow you to select your own birds, you may be able to sex them yourself if you do some research on the breed. For example, buff orps aren't sexed, but I did some research and there is a pretty reliable way to sex the chicks before 1 week if you know what to look for. I did this and was able to tell which 2 were roos accurately. If you are allowed to select your own, I'd go local.

FWIW, I purchased hatching eggs from a breeder and they were shipped when temps were good for shipping. They hatched the first week in May and they started laying the first week in November. Exactly 7 months after hatching when all the books and websites said heritage breeds should start laying. They were right! Between 6 and 8 months. Now I'll be hatching those eggs in a month or so. Very gratifying. Hatching eggs are another rewarding option too (not without risks of course). Good luck Skipcurt.

Is there any real disadvantage or advantage to starting with day old chicks near the end of April?

Skip
Depending on where you live (Woodstock, GA), a bit. Chicks have to stay in the brooder box for ~6-8 weeks until they've feathered out and can withstand temperature fluctuations. So if the chicks are 1 day old at the end of April, they go into the coop sometime in early to mid June. But that gets flexible with the weather.
You are in USDA zone 7, according to the USDA Plant Hardiness Map:
upload_2018-1-23_12-5-29.png

Meaning that your average last frost is April 21-30.

If you wanted to be more efficient, it would be best to get the chicks mid March so that can be outside when they are ready and when the weather is good.

Your local farm and feed stores will start receiving chicks anyway. They all source their chicks from the large hatcheries usually the closest one. They get a huge price break because they order 1000's over the season. Your price will be comparable to what you would pay ordering directly from the hatchery. Buy as soon as you can so they are producing by last summer.

I had very good experience buying Welsummers advertised as pullets from a local farmers' co-op. Welsummers can be sexed fairly reliably at birth. Even so I bought about 50% more than I wanted because I figured that some would be males (which I would have gotten rid of). Turns out they were all pullets, so I ended up with more than I wanted.

April is absolutely perfect for chicks in the south! You have a couple weeks you have to keep them in because the weather is still iffy so you get to imprint yourself on them.By the time you put them outside you've got tons of new greenery and bugs coming out of hibernation, so you've got happy chickens. If you're lucky you'll have eggs by winter, but that's not a certainty. :)

Back
Top Bottom