Timing of my first chicks/flaky question about car trip

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggspletive!, Jun 9, 2009.

1. eggspletive!

eggspletive! In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I swear I'm not as much of a flake as this is going to make me sound!

I am planning to start with three chicks, and I would like to get started as soon as possible. The problem is that we have a beach vacation planned for the last week of July. If I got the chicks this week, that would make them six weeks old when we leave. But I know that even if I found someone knowledgeable about chicks to care for them, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to leave them--so I am wondering, would it be completely insane to bring them with us? We would be driving several hours and then staying at a beach house. Would the car trip be impossible for them, even if I held them in my lap in a box and monitored the temperature, etc.?

I'm sorry if this sounds like an irresponsible idea--I really don't know the answer and that's why I'm asking. Of course I don't want to do anything that would be harmful to the chicks, but on the other hand, if it would be perfectly safe for them by that age, then I don't want to wait to get them.

Thank you for your help!

2. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    I know this isn't what you want to hear but my opinion is to just wait. The temperature won't be a problem at that age, they will be pretty well feathered. Whose beach house is it? If you are renting it, I doubt the owners would like you bringing chickens with you. They poop A LOT and the dust is unbelievable. The happiest two days for me-when I got my chicks, when my chicks went outside in their coop! Will a few mos. really matter?

Forgot to say WELCOME

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Songster

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    How about if you find someone you really like and trust to take care of them? After six weeks you might be ready for a vacation from them! I wouldn't take my chicks on a trip with me. They'll be big and flying around by then and really ready to be in the coop. Will this beach house have a proper accommodation for them? They won't still be in a cardboard box all day by then. I don't think you'll have much of a vacation if you're dealing with your chicks all day. If you can't leave them with someone, either cancel the vacation or postpone the chick's arrival. [​IMG]

4. eggspletive!

eggspletive! In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Thank you--this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I appreciate your advice!

5. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Ehh...just have a neighbor check in on them. At 6 weeks they should be in a coop so theres not alot to do for them at that point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: