Timing on buying chicks

TheChickenCameFirst

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
The Countryside of Southern NH
Heya.

I am wondering if it is alright to buy chicks in the late summer in New England. Our winters can be harsh... will the chicks be ready to be in an unheated coop by then? I'm thinking we will be able to buy chicks in late September, and I just want to get opinions on it. Should I wait till spring to buy them (Which I don't want to do because I'm excited to get started LOL), or should I buy already grown chickens from our local fair??? Just wondering! Thanks in advance!!

Is there a way you can have the light from the brooder in the coop until they have all their feathers?? I would be concerned depending on how cold it gets. I'm out in California and probably wouldn't do an unheated coop that young. If you can't wait (which I totally understand) I would order or buy pullets. Then you know they're female and be big enough to go outside.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi! I'm in NH and have gone back-and-forth about getting new chicks this late in the year. Since my coop is insulated, but not heated, I opted to get pullets for now to keep my existing two girls warm for the winter, and finish off the flock with chicks in the spring. I'd recommend this for you, that way you can get started, and enjoy raising baby chicks, too. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I agree to wait until spring. I, too, live in a harsh winter area, and I know it would be nerve-wracking trying to get them feathered out and moved into the coop by the time the cold temps hit.

You really want to have the leisure to get them tamed to the humans in your family and enjoy raising them, and the peace of mind knowing they're secure in their new quarters when it's below freezing outside.

You can raise chicks any time, but do you really want to endure checking on them when it's windy, cold, and snowing in the evening? Because with chicks, there's always something unexpected, and winter is a lousy time to deal with it.

And I believe spring chicks have a way better chance for a healthy life.

OK thanks! I was planning on keeping them inside till all their feathers were in. We are planning on buying only six chicks to start with and keep them in a homemade brooder that is quite big (A fifty gallon aquarium). I assumed that once their feathers were in it would be ok to put them out. I think I may end up buying pullets this fall, and start with chicks in the spring! Thanks so much for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom