1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

timothy hay

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mommysongbird, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Can chickens eat the timothy hay that one would buy for rabbits and other small animals?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have bought timothy hay for my horses in the past but I would not recommend feeding it to your chickens. IMO it could cause crop problems. Now I would recommend getting alfalfa and letting your chickens have the leaves. [​IMG]

3. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    It's widely used for rabbits...not sure on chickens tho.

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Have heard others say it is hard to get them interested in it... I feed alfalfa and they think it's the best thing since peanut butter [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    we live where I can get fresh alfalfa as it grows, they LOVE it...I tie the stems together and hang it in the run...they go crazy picking the leaves and bits off...not heard anything good about the Timothy hay, we have rabbits also, and would not give it to the chickens...

6. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Okay, I was thinking that I had read something some where about it not being the best thing for them, but they could eat it. We don't even get it a lot for our rabbit, just every once in a while.

There are alfalfa fields around here, but I don't think the owners would appreciate me 'raiding' their crops. LOL

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Quote:[​IMG] No, I don't think they'd like that either.

8. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    My Silkies LOVE grass type hay

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:slightly OT but rabbits should have free-choice hay (non alfalfa) at all times.

10. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    I soak timothy/alfalfa hay cubes for my goats twice a day mix one pound of goat chow in it....divide it between the goats and the chickens get the leftovers..they go crazy for it![​IMG] The chickies know it's coming and hoover around me. It soaked in hot water so the stems are real soft. I've also used the alfalfa pellets with equal excitement from the girls![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by