Tino just flogged my Grandma!!! Here is what i did:

Thanks guys, I don't plan on letting anyone with him again. He is so sweet sometimes... Then other times I'm plotting to send him to freezer camp. My light Brahma cockerel is the same age now that Tino was the first time he went at me lol. Still sweet as can be. He will be the new roo in that flock! Tino can live in solitude.View attachment 2317457

Isn't this a pullet? I ask because we have 6 light Brahma and 4-5 are cockrels and their combs were growing and bright red starting at 6 weeks, whereas the smaller combed are all pullets. Just curious ;)

No, thank you for being blunt!!! I've tried to love him, but he just put me lower down😞 I knew this day would come, I don't need a loving relationship with him... As much as it breaks my heart, ill let him hate me. In hoping his batchlor pad will calm him, and I can build back a relationship that doesn't get me flogged, but I understand I made it harder to achieve today, thank you for letting me know😢

Ohhhh if you haven't yet, take the time to read this article that was suggested previously--i just did--and have had issues with a roo that I rehomed. This article is VERY helpful and I wish I'd have run across it a year ago. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-viewpoint-on-managing-roosters.74690/

Ohhhh if you haven't yet, take the time to read this article that was suggested previously--i just did--and have had issues with a roo that I rehomed. This article is VERY helpful and I wish I'd have run across it a year ago. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-viewpoint-on-managing-roosters.74690/
This article is great in that it names the aggression responsible for so many of the rooster posts on this site: "familiarity based." Those of us raising male chicks for the first time often fail to realize that training's important. I can't believe how naïve I was about that! I turned the perfect chick into a feathered monsterbeast:th

One thought about this article: it says you can use your feet to move a rooster out of the way. However, a lot of articles point out that foot movements can look like aggression. Our cockerel is totally irritated if I use my feet to steer him. I prefer a hiking-type stick for gently sweeping him away.

He's never been whacked with a stick, so that may be why it doesn't activate him. He treats the stick like a fence that wasn't there before and walks away. Of course, he's never been kicked either, but wow, he gets mad when shoes come towards him :idunno

So many people have stories about how a bird went from friendly to aggressive with no warning. I think that, in reality, there's a trigger we just don't see.

I meant to ask if your grandma was wearing a bright color or flowy clothing. Our boy HATES pink and dislikes flowy fabric. It's like a red cape to a bull.

Oh and you could do a health check to make sure Tino's feeling good. Ours was acting touchy a few weeks ago. I figured it was another phase, but then found mites all over his legs, argh! After those were addressed, he calmed right back down.

Bonus: I've carried him so much the past few months that inspecting his feathers, dusting, and bathing him have been no problem. He loves it. So there's a silver lining.

Anyway, continued good luck with your tractor and flock.

Thank you, he is acting normal. My Grandma Probobly was wearing bright cloths, but I wear a dark red shirt in and out occationaly, and he acts the same. Roosters are so confusing!!!
I also meant to say he only cares about eye-level colors: pants and shoes. We can wear whatever kind of shirt, probably even a gorilla costume up top as long as our shoes and pants are neutrals. So if your grandma has an awesome, colorful wardrobe or bright shoes, that could've set Tino off. Just a thought!

She wore sparkly shoes, and white pants I be live😬 my school is a 3-1 boy girl ratio... So I've learned not to dress fancy, I literly have a gray and black wardrobe😂😂😂 I might be one of the most boring people cloths wise😉
All I’m saying is borrow those sparkly shoes and see how Tino reacts! The solution to his problem may be as easy as, “Wear beige.” :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom