Tiny baby - should I worry?

jendodd, it sounds like the chicks development was slow compared to the others but that happens to a lot of chickens and they catch up eventualy.
one of mine very first chicks; kanner,a cuckoo maran was very very small compared to his maran and light sussex bretheren & sisteren,he also had 'pasty butt' and severe coccidiosis which am certain he came out of the egg with,it caused intestinal shedding and made him lose the tail feathers he had developed,but he eventualy won the battle; with baycox and system boosting.
this was him after his first few weeks-maybe month? cant remember- http://sadpanda.us/images/1223041-M6TYYIQ.jpg

and this is him now- http://sadpanda.us/images/1216486-4WSYKC9.jpg he is massive and bigger than the roo who outdone them all in size as babies,he is also super healthy and the top cock.

likewise,people often say not to help chicks out of the egg if they arent able to get out,had to help out six chicks due to bator having a humidity problem which caused shrink wrapping, all of them were born [and still are] completely healthy .
best of [c]luck with chicken little :p they have made it for the first week-a good sign.

Last edited:
We have one very, very tiny little easter egger chick that is 7 days old. All of my other chicks (that are 8-10 days old and different breeds) are at least twice the size of it. They all have wing feathers and the beginnings of a tail and shoulder feathers and the little EE baby hasn't sprouted any yet.

It seems to be making it's way otherwise, but I can't help but worry - In the beginning it was very unsteady and had pasty butt, but we got that cleared up. It's back end just seems so tiny but I don't know if it was a lack of feathers compared to the other ones.

After sumi was kind enough to tell me that EE = Easter Egger, I remembered that my twenty-six chicks were the "rainbow layer collection" and (doin' the math on your aging post) mine are about 2-3 days older than your lil' guy. So I took pictures ... not pretty ones, but *lots* of 'em.

Don't be alarmed if they appear more developed; my birds have exposure to fresh air and sunshine, and disruptive night feedings, along w/ controlled exposure to temperature fluctuations ... they're a bit ahead of their time ~'-)

Thanks!

When it arrived at a day old it did have pasty butt, but we got it fixed up right away and it hasn't happened again! ACV in the water seems to have done the trick!

She has wing feathers coming in today and she doesn't seem so extremely tiny, but she's definitely less developed!!

Thanks!

When it arrived at a day old it did have pasty butt, but we got it fixed up right away and it hasn't happened again! ACV in the water seems to have done the trick!

She has wing feathers coming in today and she doesn't seem so extremely tiny, but she's definitely less developed!!

Sorry for missing your post ... by now, she's probably flying ~'-)

The Apple Cider Vinegar is such a remarkable simple thing to do for birds, but does so very much for them:
  • Botulism is present in the mouths/intestines of all birds, but ACV both prevents it from reaching toxic levels, and treats birds in which it has.
  • The tanin in ACV cuts the mucus, which not only helps w/ respiratory issues, but cleans it out of their entire system, increasing the uptake of vitamins/nutrients (as you now know, the difference is dramatic, and can be quickly/easily seen ~'-)
  • It makes waterer easier to clean, which makes it far more likely they're gonna be.

I posted a gallery of images of my own on my profile page, taken on their 21st day-after-their-birth-day. I need to photograph them now, as they're pretty much small chickens (check 'em out, 'n lemme know what ya think ~'-)

One of mine escaped yesterday, and wasn't recovered 'til this evening -- rather than explaining here? Peck here -> see the thread in a new window.

Glad your girl is doin' better, even if she remains a bit smaller/lighter than the rest. You probably weren't plannin' on eatin' her anyhow ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom