Tiny Bubbles in One Eye? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkieRaiser, Sep 27, 2016.

1. silkieRaiser

silkieRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    Hi,

My silkie chick has been having recurring strangeness in one of her eyes.[​IMG]It has tiny bubbles in one eye at completely random times. It doesn't happen often anymore but on some occasion I see it happening and then it usually fades out within a few minutes. It also sneezes a lot, but has been doing this scene I got her. None of the other chickens ever have bubbles or sneeze on a regular basis. I have concluded that this is something respiratory, but I can't pinpoint it. Is this contagious? If so, how should I protect my flock? Also, is there something I should give my silkie to cure it?

Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. That sounds like it could mycoplasma (MG) a respiratory disease. You might try some oxytetracycline or Tylan for treatment. Birds usually get respiratory infections from carriers in other flocks. Have you added any new bird for the last several weeks?

3. BarbiD

BarbiD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    If a hen has a runny nose, but no bubbles in the eye(s), no wheezing, no sneezing...could it still be MG?

4. silkieRaiser

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    I haven't added a new bird... this is my first flock. Maybe one of him/her brothers/sisters at the breeder? Also, where should I pick up oxytetracycline or Tylan? How do I use it?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feed stores carry Tylan 50 injectable which can also be given orally 1/4 ml twice a day for 3-5 days for a bantam. Oxytetracycline can be used instead in the water for 7 days, but will not be available over the counter after the end of this year. If you get a certain brand of oxy, we can help with dosage.

6. silkieRaiser

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    Thank you! I will try that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by