Tiny Bugs Everywhere!

TanyaB

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2019
I noticed these little bugs everywhere in the coop in broad daylight. They don't appear to be on the chickens. I have checked the chickens several times. We have seven pens and changed out the bedding on the roosts last week. The bugs are heavily concentrated in the coops with new bedding. They have also spread to the outside of the feed containers outside of the pens. They also randomly hitch a ride and will leave a small bite on my torso and ankles. What are these?
121047559_10223891167888511_6015234900017824589_o(1).jpg

The bugs are heavily concentrated in the coops with new bedding. They have also spread to the outside of the feed containers outside of the pens. They also randomly hitch a ride and will leave a small bite on my torso and ankles. What are these?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I was thinking maybe grain mites.. but I've never heard of being bitten by a grain mite.. so I might think.. another type of mite that's still making it's way to the chicken that maybe came in on the bedding.. I know some folks complain it's the number one reason they avoid using straw hay.. I haven't had that issue YET.

I would consider using a permethrin based "horse fly spray" on all the coop surfaces, lay boxes, under roost, walls, etc.. found in the equine section sold under many brand names and different concentrations from ready to use spritz bottle or mix in a garden sprayer..very affordable and effective.. while also being safe (not for cats) and requires NO egg withdrawal time WHEN used on birds.

Noting that one of our members took a mite into their county agriculture department to get identified.. to which she was handed a thick book and told to have a look.. there are thousands of varieties! My recent battle with fleas has revealed there are over 2,200 flea species. :barnie

I do notice they are on your water thing in this photo.. one of my revelations was that they actually require a high amount of humidity to survive. It's possible they are a seasonal pest.. flies are OFF the hook right now, here.

FWIW.. a little dish soap water on a wash cloth might take care of all the ones you can easily access. Standard water, will not likely have any effect.

Consider adding your general location to your profile, as it may help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance as many things are heavily location dependent. :)

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I was thinking maybe grain mites.. but I've never heard of being bitten by a grain mite.. so I might think.. another type of mite that's still making it's way to the chicken that maybe came in on the bedding.. I know some folks complain it's the number one reason they avoid using straw hay.. I haven't had that issue YET.

I would consider using a permethrin based "horse fly spray" on all the coop surfaces, lay boxes, under roost, walls, etc.. found in the equine section sold under many brand names and different concentrations from ready to use spritz bottle or mix in a garden sprayer..very affordable and effective.. while also being safe (not for cats) and requires NO egg withdrawal time WHEN used on birds.

Noting that one of our members took a mite into their county agriculture department to get identified.. to which she was handed a thick book and told to have a look.. there are thousands of varieties! My recent battle with fleas has revealed there are over 2,200 flea species. :barnie

I do notice they are on your water thing in this photo.. one of my revelations was that they actually require a high amount of humidity to survive. It's possible they are a seasonal pest.. flies are OFF the hook right now, here.

FWIW.. a little dish soap water on a wash cloth might take care of all the ones you can easily access. Standard water, will not likely have any effect.

Consider adding your general location to your profile, as it may help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance as many things are heavily location dependent. :)

Thank you for the reply! I ordered the permethrin over the weekend and should get it today. I guess I know what I am doing tonight! The container they are on is actually a cat littler container washed out containing sunflower seeds. They are not in the bucket but all over the outside! I did add straw to the outside runs about two weeks ago but inside I use pine shavings. Not sure if I can get mites from the pine shavings, but I suppose it is possible they moved inside from the straw in the runs. I contemplated talking to our vet but figured I would give the permethrin a try first. I have never seen anything like this before. I have the creepy crawlies constantly now!

The container they are on is actually a cat littler container
Before getting cats I used it freely when needed on my goats and dogs for mosquitoes was it's original intent. Then I discovered it's many more uses and have used it successfully against poultry lice. AND also against termites in my sons house!

Now I have cats.. I try not to spray it when they will be around as their liver will not filter out the permethrin and allows it to build up in their system. But I do still use it, just more cautiously. :)

My guess is some sort of mite. Permethrin should do the trick

Yes mites can hitch a ride on bedding, so possibly your new bedding was infested and the mites came along.

Since you mentioned being bitten, I got bitten pretty severely when we had a mite problem (had dozens of bites before we figured it out).
If mite bites on you are an issue, or mites are getting into the house:

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol to spare, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!

Yes mites can hitch a ride on bedding, so possibly your new bedding was infested and the mites came along.

Since you mentioned being bitten, I got bitten pretty severely when we had a mite problem (had dozens of bites before we figured it out).

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol to spare, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!

Thank you for the information! I sprayed the entire coop and birds last night with Permethrin. I also scrubbed feeders and water buckets. I will do another treatment in a week or so. I have been spraying my barn boots, immediately washing clothes, and showering since I noticed the problem.

One quick question for you - when you had an issue, did you take out all bedding and leave bedding out through the second treatment?

Wow Rose, As an exterminator, YOU ARE HIRED!

Back
Top Bottom