Tiny Bugs in Incubator

ChickenAndMore

Songster
8 Years
Jul 2, 2012
Texas
Today I was looking into the incubator and noticed several small bugs running about. Any Ideas on what it could be? Are they mites, if so what can we use to safely treat our birds?

Red are mites, tan/white/clear are lice. Sevin dust works the best and now has a natural option (green bottle instead of red). I don't know if you can treat chicks so soon after hatching but if they get the bugs it can pull them down very quickly.

Is your incubator in the house or in your coop? If in the house, they could be fleas. If out in the coop (or stored in the coop or garage,) they are probably mites. Did you clean and disinfect the incubator before setting the eggs?

Last edited:
The incubator is in my house and is cleaned after every hatch. They are a reddish tan color. I have read that diatomaceous earth works good and is safe for the birds, does this work for mites and lice? Will this kill the chicks? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The incubator is in my house and is cleaned after every hatch. They are a reddish tan color. I have read that diatomaceous earth works good and is safe for the birds, does this work for mites and lice? Will this kill the chicks? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Have you actually seen any bugs on your chicks? While they could be mites/lice,what i would suggest is to remove and disinfect brooder along with all feed/water dishes,then place chicks back in and see if bugs reappear.

Check your feed make sure no bugs are in feed/feed bag.

Last edited:
No I have not, but I have not got them out yet because there are quite a few still pipped/hatching. I will go out and look on my older chicks that are out in the brooder.

I did not see any bugs on the chicks but it is dark and is hard to see I will look at them more tomorrow.
If they are not mites/lice,look at bed bugs as your description fits them also(reddish-brown color,oval/flat,approx 1/4" or smaller,lack wings so they crawl) as they too love warmth/moisture/warm blooded animals and anyone or anything could have brought them into area/home(furniture/clothes/backpacks/shoes/purse/etc,the list is endless)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom