Tiny chick: can I do anything else?

Jul 13, 2019
Virginia, U.S.
20191014_171135.jpg

Recently I picked up 2 Ayam Cemani chicks at a chicken swap. They were supposedly a few days old, but while one looked it, the other resembled a fuzzy ping pong ball with sticks for legs. It was just too tiny. I brought it home anyway (sucker for the tiny and broken things) and set about the battle of keeping this tiny speck of a chicken alive, in spite of its best efforts to die. The first week was rough. Pasty butt every other day, didn't grow at all the first week, slept standing up to be as close to the heat source as possible, but Bon-bon was always plucky and energetic and after that 1st week I noticed that ever so imperceptibly he had grown and Finally!!! had some feathers starting. Its brother (I'm assuming, never has a chick acted more like a tiny roo than this one) was so much more developed, but I started to have hope. I have started giving it nutri-dench in water once a day, it's finally started sleeping laying down, and just today jumped on top of the brooder whereas the others have been since a few days old. I finally allowed myself to take pictures of Bon-bon today, as I'm beginning to feel hopeful. My question is, is there anything else I can do, beyond steady temperatures, daily cleaning of brooder/vent, and nutri drench, to help this little fluff butt make it?
Bon- bon
20191014_170905.jpg

Big brother Raven:
20191014_171103.jpg

I think you've been doing a great job! Some chicks just fail to thrive but it seems like you saved this guy for sure!
I don't know how adjustable your heat plate is, or if it's even necessary at this point, but you could make one end a little lower so he can easily be closer to the heat. I always have a high end and a low end so chicks can choose their own "sweet" spot. I don't think DE has proven effective at anything except causing respiratory issues, so I would never try introducing it to chicks.
Bon-bon is lucky to have you. Keep up the good work!

20191101_171822.jpg
20191101_171940.jpg
20191101_171944.jpg
Just wanted to update on Bon-bon. As soon as he got better, he took off. He's about a week behind everyone in growth, but has been growing steadily. He can't see any difference in himself and his siblings and makes up for the size difference with lots of personality. I kept up with our routine, stopping the Nutri-dench when it was clear he was finally growing steadily. I started adding a little ACV to the water. He was doing so well I let him move outside with his siblings (they still have a heat source in the outside brooder) and they've all done great, much happier than they were inside. Just wanted to update on how well he's doing to give others that might be going through the same thing some hope.

View attachment 1949581 View attachment 1949583 View attachment 1949584 Just wanted to update on Bon-bon. As soon as he got better, he took off. He's about a week behind everyone in growth, but has been growing steadily. He can't see any difference in himself and his siblings and makes up for the size difference with lots of personality. I kept up with our routine, stopping the Nutri-dench when it was clear he was finally growing steadily. I started adding a little ACV to the water. He was doing so well I let him move outside with his siblings (they still have a heat source in the outside brooder) and they've all done great, much happier than they were inside. Just wanted to update on how well he's doing to give others that might be going through the same thing some hope.
Nice job! Always great to read about a positive outcome like this. :woot

Back
Top Bottom