Tiny chick?

jimandkira2002

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2015
So I had 8 chicks born between 4 /14-4/16. I lost one 3 days ago and there is still one that I'm very concerned about. Like the one I lost 3 days ago this one is extremely tiny. Like half the size of the other chicks including one born after it. Its like it hasn't grown at all since it hatched, like in humans it would be called failure to thrive. I see it eating and drinking but it doesn't do that nearly as much as the other healthy looking chicks. Is there anything that I can do for this chick to try and keep it from passing too? Is this somewhat common or did I screw up somewhere with raising them? They aren't even "mine", I incubated and hatched them for a family friend so I feel really bad that 4 eggs didn't make it and now one chick passed and more then likely a 2nd chick will too. :(

Check her crop. What's it feel like?

Make sure she's getting her vitamins proper. Some extra protein (mealworms, boiled egg yolk) may also help...

Is she lethargic?

Check her crop.  What's it feel like?

Make sure she's getting her vitamins proper.  Some extra protein (mealworms, boiled egg yolk) may also help...

Is she lethargic?

The crop is almost always empty. I got a good brand chick food without antibiotics. So I would hope the food is well balanced. I'll make some hard boiled eggs later today and give that to them as a treat to see if that will help. The chick is very lethargic all it wants to do is sit under the heating lamp and sleep. The temp is at 95 on only one side of the brood box and it's always there. Many times during the day I make it drink water by dunking it's beak in the water a little and then try to get it to eat by tapping on the food and dunking it's beak in the food.

Last edited:
The crop is almost always empty. I got a good brand chick food without antibiotics. So I would hope the food is well balanced. I'll make some hard boiled eggs later today and give that to them as a treat to see if that will help. The chick is very lethargic all it wants to do is sit under the heating lamp and sleep. The temp is at 95 on only one side of the brood box and it's always there. Many times during the day I make it drink water by dunking it's beak in the water a little and then try to get it to eat by tapping on the food and dunking it's beak in the food.

Not dealing with an impacted crop, then...Which can sometimes do this to them.

No runny eyes/nose? No pasty butt? Breathing alright? Any other symptoms? How does the navel look?

Since she's lethargic and most likely dehydrated, she could also benefit from an electrolyte solution. Tell us how the eggs treat her. You'll probably have to continue to encourage her to eat/drink...What does she have for company?

Unfortunately, despite your best efforts, she may not make it...there is a generalized and unfortunately not terribly diagnostic term for neonates called "failure to thrive." It's generally chalked up to genetic or developmental problems. Don't give up on her yet, but do prepare for that. : (

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately the chick passed away in my hands a couple of hours ago. It wouldn't eat or drink and got very weak so I just cuddled the little baby. He/she didn't have any other symptoms, no pasty butt, naval was closed. I did notice that right before it passed its belly where the naval was, was very deflated. It looks like the poor babe just wasted away :( I'm heartbroken that he/she didn't make it but I'm glad it didn't suffer any longer and that it passed away feeling loved cuddled in my hands.

I'm so sorry to hear that. : (

It is very heartbreaking to see one of your babies go so young like that. No other symptoms means it's likely something genetic that the rest of your flock won't catch...But I know how it feels to do your best and just not be able to yield results. Sometimes little ones just aren't meant to live with us very long.

I'm glad you held it and made it feel safe. That takes emotional strength on your part to be able to see them to the end. I think it makes a big difference for them when somebody does that.

I'm so sorry to hear that. : (

It is very heartbreaking to see one of your babies go so young like that. No other symptoms means it's likely something genetic that the rest of your flock won't catch...But I know how it feels to do your best and just not be able to yield results. Sometimes little ones just aren't meant to live with us very long.

I'm glad you held it and made it feel safe. That takes emotional strength on your part to be able to see them to the end. I think it makes a big difference for them when somebody does that.

Thank you for your kind words <3

Back
Top Bottom