1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tiny duck egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DragonflyWoods, Oct 5, 2014.

1. DragonflyWoods

DragonflyWoods New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Today I got a very tiny egg from one of my ducks. I believe it was my Khaki Campbell. Anyone have an idea why? Here is a picture of yesterday's normal egg compared to today's. [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes younger ducks will have very small eggs, or if the duck is beginning laying or slowing down laying.

3. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Maybe its yolkless. Birds can lay some strange eggs ,Double yolk, egg inside of egg, swirly. She could be getting ready to stop laying.

4. DragonflyWoods

DragonflyWoods New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks, I was wondering about the yolkless thing. This duck started laying a month ago and has been very consistant. We'll see if she is slowing down for the season. My chickens slowed down already. One has stopped and started to molt. I live in the NW of USA and our days are less than 12 hours now.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  5. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    I found one just like that today, instead of her usual large size. They have been molting. They are 2 year old Anconas and it has been a little hit and miss lately. Lots of changes happening lately: New duck house and run, plus I added four ducklings which has both ducks upset. (The drake doesn't seem to care one way or the other.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by