Tiny egg....HUH?

buzymom13

I run the Alien Chicken Asylum
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
ep.gif

I know that new layers have issues sometimes (soft shelled eggs, tiny eggs, double yokers, etc.) But the only 2 I have laying white eggs are my 2 leghorns. They've been laying consistently since the end of June. Why would they all of a sudden give us this?
54853_101_5462.jpg

I'm wondering if my 19 wk mix breed pullet laid this instead? Guess we'll wait and see. We've had 2 soft shell eggs in the past week which I was thinking was from our other EE who hasn't started laying yet. Hmmmmmm.... Where's Sherlock Holmes when ya need him?

Anyways, the egg is sweet....
thumbsup.gif

I had a surprise tiny one about 3 days ago and I am too thinking it might be my late bloomer pullet or on of the others slacking off. Usually there is a gap between laying, so I keep waiting for another or catching her on the nest.

How cute is that!

I'm betting the 19 wk pullet laid that. She's around the age where she should begin laying, and I don't hear too often of an EE laying a perfectly white egg. JMHO.

I used to get a lot of those little 'bantam' eggs from my Rocks, they are finally laying some good sized eggs nowadays. Slackers...

I think its from the EE. My EE pullet just started laying the same sized egg as what you're showing. Except that mine is pinkish-brown with very light speckling. Go figure.
My gullible dad asked why they were so small, and I told him they were "diet" eggs for people with high cholesterol. ;D

Could be the mix, but then again could't just be a fluke in the system. My OEGB hens will sometimes give me eggs about the size of a small gumball.

I have a white leghorn who turned 1 year old in August and has laid two "fart eggs" that look just like the one in your picture! Her first one was when she had just been laying for a few months. Working the kinks out I guess. But she laid another small one like that about a month ago. She is my best layer, so I'm guessing maybe her system just got overwhelmed with laying so often? Who knows. But the next day, she was right back to laying her perfect normal sized white eggs.

I had an EE that did this recently - 2 in one week, then all was fine. I posted about it a while back and people told me it was normal - the "egg farts" as @tamtam84 said.

Back
Top Bottom