Tiny Egg

fesperman58

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
I have a small flock of 8 hens and 2 roosters. I am getting about 5 eggs per day ranging in size from grocery store medium to larger than grocery store x-large eggs. Earlier this week, though, we found a tiny egg in one of our nests. I have posted a picture below next to a normal size egg.

Is this normal? Why is this egg so small?

How long have your hens been laying for? Hens that haven't been laying long will often lay weird eggs, like extra small, soft-shelled, or miscolored eggs. Sometimes hens that have been laying for a while lay weird eggs, too, and there's usually no explanation, it's just kinda random.
Edited to add:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
First of all
welcome-byc.gif

How old are your girls? This a typical occurrence in pullets. It has been called many things but mostly a fart egg. Young chickens are just getting their egg factories up to speed and will sometimes lay them. I have two myself. Completely normal. I think it would be safe to say that more people have gotten one of those egg farts than not.

I have four Rhode Island Red mixed hens. For two days I have gotten tiny eggs after getting regular eggs. The first one was brown and the next day it was pinkish. These girls are a year old this month and have been laying pretty good for about six months. From the threads it sounds like it is nothing to worry about?

Back
Top Bottom