Tiny Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fesperman58, Mar 7, 2012.

1. fesperman58

fesperman58 New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    I have a small flock of 8 hens and 2 roosters. I am getting about 5 eggs per day ranging in size from grocery store medium to larger than grocery store x-large eggs. Earlier this week, though, we found a tiny egg in one of our nests. I have posted a picture below next to a normal size egg.

Is this normal? Why is this egg so small?

[​IMG]

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    How long have your hens been laying for? Hens that haven't been laying long will often lay weird eggs, like extra small, soft-shelled, or miscolored eggs. Sometimes hens that have been laying for a while lay weird eggs, too, and there's usually no explanation, it's just kinda random.
    Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    First of all [​IMG].

How old are your girls? This a typical occurrence in pullets. It has been called many things but mostly a fart egg. Young chickens are just getting their egg factories up to speed and will sometimes lay them. I have two myself. Completely normal. I think it would be safe to say that more people have gotten one of those egg farts than not.

4. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    I have four Rhode Island Red mixed hens. For two days I have gotten tiny eggs after getting regular eggs. The first one was brown and the next day it was pinkish. These girls are a year old this month and have been laying pretty good for about six months. From the threads it sounds like it is nothing to worry about?

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It's a fart egg and most likely has no yolk. It's a perfectly normal, although strange, occurrence.

6. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Well, I'm a worry wort but I'm glad to hear that "occasional" tiny eggs are normal.

7. chickeninfested

chickeninfested Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Well it might be something that I've only seen once, a yolk only egg!;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by