TINY Mystery Egg!

i have all large chickens and also got a very small egg (fart egg) i guess...i will hatch the next one i get just to see what happens...

Could it be a cowbird egg? They lay eggs in other birds' nests. Usually sparrow nests and the like, though. A chicken nestbox seems a stretch. Can't wait to see! BTW, if it is a cowbird get it out of there when it hatches before it starts cracking open the other eggs!

Quote:
Mine did have a yolk in it... it was the cutest little whole egg.... about the size of a dime..(like the op's)

If it had a yolk, then it must not have been an egg fart, right?? I wonder why they lay small eggs sometimes..........

Quote:
*sigh* fart or wind egg is just a name that people call them small eggs.... lol
I dont know why they lay them... it is weird...
hu.gif

I think that younger birds (pullets) usually do it...

I also have all big layers but one day when the 2 young EE's first started laying, I came outside & there was this tiny lil egg lying on the ground in the pen that was the exact robin's egg blue color that both their eggs are (they're are totally unrelated & came from different sources, but they lay identical colored eggs!) & it was so small, I thought it might be a wild bird egg. I don't have a bator though, so hatching wasn't an option for me. I blew it out & saved the shell though (it DID have a yolk - looked just like a normal egg but micro sized!) How neat that yours is alive & well, whatever it may turn out to be!!! Good luck to you & lil secret peeper...
pop.gif

Last edited:
With all things considered that chick will probably need help. If for no other reason than the fact you removed it from the bator. You shouldn't even open the bator while chicks are hatching. Pulling it out long enough to take a picture = very bad. The chick will dry to the membrane and be unable to move. I'd throw some damp paper towels in the bator to spike the humidity. Even if I just have to crack the bator I'll throw a damp paper towel in or some people will mist the eggs to prevent stuck chicks. Chicks can sit there pipped for more than a day and then still take half a day to fully hatch so if you do have to help don't be in a hurry. Remove small bits of shell wrapping the rest in a warm damp paper towel in between. If you see thick veins or blood stop, put it back, and check it again in a few hours. Once the beak is sticking out they can breathe and no harm will come to them if they sit a little longer but death will happen if you try to get them out too quickly.

Yeah... i think the little guy is gonna need help to hatch...
Just go slowly.. and stop if you see blood...

Back
Top Bottom