Tiny specks on the inside on eggshell.

Farmgirlintheruff

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2020
I have two roosters and three hens. They are caged at night and have the run of the farm during the day. Two of my hens started to lay their first eggs in November. Since then, some of the eggs have small speckles adhered to the inside of the shell. The end opposite of the air sac. The chickens seem well. The eggs are fine otherwise. What is this?
20200122_085047.jpg

Do you still have this egg in the pic? Feel like doing a science experiment? I have a hunch it's bacteria or mold spores. Take the shell and place it in a shallow dish with a moist paper towel to create humidity. Cover loosely and place the dish someplace warm and dark such as your water heater closet.

Check it in a few days. If the spots have grown, you can be assured they are living organisms. You'd need a microscope and a science degree to identify what life form they are, though.

I have two roosters and three hens. They are caged at night and have the run of the farm during the day. Two of my hens started to lay their first eggs in November. Since then, some of the eggs have small speckles adhered to the inside of the shell. The end opposite of the air sac. The chickens seem well. The eggs are fine otherwise. What is this?View attachment 2008452
Do you still have this egg in the pic? Feel like doing a science experiment? I have a hunch it's bacteria or mold spores. Take the shell and place it in a shallow dish with a moist paper towel to create humidity. Cover loosely and place the dish someplace warm and dark such as your water heater closet.

Check it in a few days. If the spots have grown, you can be assured they are living organisms. You'd need a microscope and a science degree to identify what life form they are, though.
So my guestion is, are they safe to eat? We have been eating them. And, how do I fix these chickens?

I have two roosters and three hens. They are caged at night and have the run of the farm during the day. Two of my hens started to lay their first eggs in November. Since then, some of the eggs have small speckles adhered to the inside of the shell. The end opposite of the air sac. The chickens seem well. The eggs are fine otherwise. What is this?View attachment 2008452

I agree with @FortCluck. I wouldn't eat the eggs nor would I feed them to the chickens until I determine whether or not they are ALIVE! The simple experiment I posted can determine if these are indeed alive. If they are living organisms, I would assume bacteria.

We do know that bacteria can enter a porous egg shell and kill the embryo developing inside, so this guess isn't out there in left field.

The chickens probably didn't install the bacteria. The nest box could be fouled or the bacteria is entering from a dirty cloaca as the egg is being laid.

I agree with @FortCluck. I wouldn't eat the eggs nor would I feed them to the chickens until I determine whether or not they are ALIVE! The simple experiment I posted can determine if these are indeed alive. If they are living organisms, I would assume bacteria.

We do know that bacteria can enter a porous egg shell and kill the embryo developing inside, so this guess isn't out there in left field.
I saw someone else open an egg and there was mold in it.

Is there a way for someone to prevent this from happening?

I saw someone else open an egg and there was mold in it.

Is there a way for someone to prevent this from happening?
I think I will try to post this in the disease section for that answer
These eggs are coming out of the chicken, looking like this. Not sitting around. I like all the ideas about this though. I just want to stop what ever is causing this.

Back
Top Bottom