Tiny Spurs?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I was playing with my newest chick and took a few pictures.
20200811_153925.jpg

Upon viewing those pictures I noticed tiny little nubs where spurs look like they may form!

The chick is a 17 day old turken mix with feathered legs. S/He has long thick legs, large feet, an impressive wingspan, and tail feathers over an inch long.

I know hens and roos can both have spurs, but are early spurs a sign? Does it mean anything?

Tiny spurs. Hard to see but there are little knobs!
20200811_152410.jpg

Very full tail.
20200811_153401.jpg

Fleshy little wattles?!
20200812_082307.jpg

Last edited:
Spur buds. Means nothing.
All chicks that age will have spur buds.
Both sexes have the ability to grow spurs. And they don't show up until 6+ months.

However the comb is large.
It's a cockerel.
Those are cute floofy legs.
I know they can all grow spurs. I just never really noticed them ntil they became more prominent. I thought the comb was rather small- but it did already darken slightly- but more yellow-orange than pink (probably because it's so young). I'm just jumping at all the physical traits because I'm eager to know the sex of my new little one.
I keep reading that fast feathering can be due to breed and genetics, but I also saw something about females feathering in quickly. And this chick is certainly one of the larger and bolder ones I've had. (It chases and pecks my dog- thank goodness my dog doesn't care!)

Thank you for this comment. As short as it was, it was informative and it made me smile. The little floofy legs and the fuzzy butt...
I'd be lying if I said I didn't regularly seek out pictures of young or baby chickens for amusement.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't regularly seek out pictures of young or baby chickens for amusement
Oh, we all do.

I know what it's like. I have a young Orpington pullet with a big comb. I was afraid she was a cockerel for ages. But she has a pullet face and I had to stop overthinking it.

But yeah. That comb is too large.
It's two and a half weeks, correct?
What's his name, btw?
Pretty sure I've seen this chick before somewhere.

Oh, we all do.

I know what it's like. I have a young Orpington pullet with a big comb. I was afraid she was a cockerel for ages. But she has a pullet face and I had to stop overthinking it.

But yeah. That comb is too large.
It's two and a half weeks, correct?
What's his name, btw?
Pretty sure I've seen this chick before somewhere.

Thanks for understanding!

I love Orpingtons! I bet yours is beautiful, especial with a nice big comb! (I've only seen Orpington pullets and hens in person but I've seen some good looking roos in pictures.)

The little one is exactly 17 days old. I've been using daily pictures to keep track of growth. Its name is Haybale (found among some rotten hidden/abandoned eggs in an old bale of hay I was clearing out.
I posted about it on BYC because it was a bizarre situation at the time. I can only guess that the hay and the heat swell had incubated it (if that is even possible?) because none of my hens are broody, nor do they typically spend time on that part of the property.

That's so cool! Remember reading that.
He's very handsome. Will you be able to keep him?
It was quite a surprise! And I'm still amazed by it. (I now routinely search around the hay.)
I should be able to keep him. Space and resources aren't an issue. Integration is my only concern. Right now Haybale is too young for me to take outside (I won't do it yet. I made that mistake once and lost an adorable polish cockerel to a cat.). I'll ease into that when he is a bit older.

Those cats can be evil. Mine thankfully is scared of chicks. Any age.

Haha yeah I'd be checking around the hay bale every day. It's amazing he survived.
Keep me updated on young Haybale.

Those cats can be evil. Mine thankfully is scared of chicks. Any age.

Haha yeah I'd be checking around the hay bale every day. It's amazing he survived.
Keep me updated on young Haybale.
Cats are rough but I can't fault a cat that is simply being instinctive. I know better now, not to take chicks out so young. It is pretty funny though, that your cat(s) is scared of chicks!

Yes! I check the bales, flower pots, I check any odd space that may be seen as a potential nest. (My girl Travolta consistently lays in a flower pot.)
20200719_162537.jpg

I'll be happy to give updates as the little one grows. I am honestly curious how he will look when he's grown. It looks like he may be getting a light patch on his back, and I don't know the extent of his pattern.

That's such a smart bird.
She looks like she's quite at home there.

My cat isn't as bad as my dog 😂 she's scared of flies, the hoover, the kitchen, children (understandable 😂)....just about anything. I really don't know why I have such wimpish animals. Rofl.

Be interesting to see how young master Haybale feathers out!

Back
Top Bottom