Tiny young serama hen laying bloody eggs - please help?

I would not stop calcium - she's laying, she needs it. Stopping calcium will not stop her from laying.

If you switch her from layer feed make sure she has oyster shell or you will have bigger issues with soft shell or no shell eggs. But I see no need to switch her feed...
Oh that's two of you saying the same thing now! :confused:

Egg smear doesn't look like blood?
Maybe it's dried and just an unclear pic.
Are all her eggs bloody?

Vent looks fine too.
Not sure why folks are saying to stop calcium.
Sorry, yes all her eggs have some blood on them

Egg smear doesn't look like blood?
Maybe it's dried and just an unclear pic.
Are all her eggs bloody?

Vent looks fine too.
Not sure why folks are saying to stop calcium.
I would not stop calcium - she's laying, she needs it. Stopping calcium will not stop her from laying.

If you switch her from layer feed make sure she has oyster shell or you will have bigger issues with soft shell or no shell eggs. But I see no need to switch her feed...
x3

While I do agree an all flock feed would be beneficial, switching her off layer feed and withholding calcium isn't going to make her stop laying. It will, however cause weak shells and possibly cause her to be egg bound. The only way to naturally reduce laying is reducing light exposure. There are implants that a vet could do, but that's hormonal.

I concur. Very dangerous to withhold calcium if she's already struggling.
Try switching to a layer feed that has a higher protein content, like 18 or 20%. Kalmbach makes some feeds like this and you can get them from Chewy.
Also, mealworms have calcium.

We had a similar problem with Hermione, a part Serama hen, when she was young. I separated her from the flock and gave her a nest full of eggs (5-6). She immediately went broody on them, which stopped her laying for three weeks so her vent could heal up.

After she came off the nest, I was careful not to give her treats with extra protein (sunflower seeds, mealworms, etc). She always laid eggs on the larger size, but after her vent healed up from this episode she was fine.

Thank you everyone! I put her back on layers a few days ago and she laid an egg again for the first time yesterday and this time no blood!

Back
Top Bottom