Tipping chicken

Lollidahfarmer

In the Brooder
May 31, 2022
Hello
I have a baby chick who started tipping over and not being able to walk about about 5 days old. We are now 4 days later and no improvement. I have read up on splay leg unsure if that's the problem. Their broader has paper towels and a rubber mat so not slick. I started adding b vitamins to the water. Any chance I can save this chick? Her will to live to strong. She keeps eating and drinking if in front of her. Sits on her hocks and uses her wings to balance. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220531_154918.jpg
    20220531_154918.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 43
Any thoughts?
Did the chick have curly toes or splayed leg at hatch or did it develop? Until day 3 they're relying on their yolk.

What is being fed?

Consider getting some Poultry Nutri drench as it has more than just B vitamins and has helped turned many a chick around.

Nice job on the chick chair, cute baby, welcome to BYC! :frow

Which B vitamins are you using and what is the dosage being used? Standard supplemental dose may not be enough to impact a deficiency.

Hope he starts to show improvement and recovers quickly! :fl

Quick note.. I *might* consider (or at least wonder if) the falling over is a symptom of star gazing not associated per say with the curled toes.. treated with vitamin E and selenium. Curly toed and splay legged chicks have still been able to maintain upright posture in my experience. They also were NOT caused by slippery surfaces in my hatcher/brooder but were always individual (egg) nutritional deficiency OR genetic internal absorption problem.

I completely concur with @EggSighted4Life . Do you have Poultry Nutri-drench? If not, get some. You can put it right in the chick's water. Vitamin E wuld also be good to give the chick in case a deficiency is causing this. That can be opened and squirted into some soft boiled or finely mince hard boiled egg.

Back
Top Bottom