tips and secrets of the GQF 1502 sportsman...

Pics
Ok..This is a good thread and has helped me with my GQF 1266 quite a bit. However, over the weekend I played around with moving a thermometer (calibrated and consistent with the two that remained in place) to the different levels of the incubator where eggs would sit.

For this experiment, I had two digital and accurate thermostats with probes that read the temperature. I used the temperature probe from by brooder and placed it in the incubator to help in this test. All three thermometers (the two digital and one non-digital) were calibrated using the slush ice slurry method the night before. The non-digital thermometer is the one that fits through the side of the incubator and it was never moved throughout the experiment.
I did not use the temp probe to the left, but used two of the thermostat/temp probes with the red lighting as shown on the right side of the pic.

I initially put the two digital thermometers in the same location (next to the non-digital thermometer) and they all read the same. Each time I moved a thermometer, which entailed opening the door, I let the incubator sit for 10 minutes before taking a reading so the incubator could re-acclimate.

One of the digital thermometers/thermostats controlled the temperature of this incubator. Therefore, the incubator’s thermometer/thermostat was the control unit that remained in the same location throughout the test while the brooder’s digital thermometer/thermostat was moved around to obtain accurate temperature readings.

Initially I put the Incubator thermometer on the top wood shelf, then the top egg shelf, then the middle egg shelf to conduct the tests. The top wood shelf and top egg shelf tests results were nearly identical. In general the wood and top 2 incubator temps ranges about 1 to 1.5 F difference and the bottom was about 3.5 degrees F colder….

So, I cut the wood shelf out on top where the water sits (see pics before it was cut out) and set a wire screen in its place to allow better air circulation. I then redid the test and had better “consistency” between the different levels. The water was present on the top shelf for all tests. I found that if I put the thermostat probe on the middle egg shelf, the temperature range between the top shelf (used to be solid wood and holds the water) and the middle shelf ranged only about 0.2 to 0.3 degrees F between the top three shelves….much better than the 1 to 1.5 degrees F I got with a solid wood shelf. However, the bottom egg shelf, was still about 2.2 degrees F colder….than the three shelves above it.

Does anyone have suggestions? Its unlikely I will have enough eggs to fill more than 2 shelves…but you never know. Is there a better way to get the entire incubator to be more consistent in temperature? Am I missing something, worrying to much or just my incubator that the temps are inconsistent?

Last edited:

I see you deleted your post. As far as difference in temperatures in the different levels I get that too. The heater is in the top so the temperatures in different places in the incubator are going to read differently. I have had no bad hatches because of this. All of my chicks pretty much all hatch out within a day or two of each other. They usually start on one day and most will hatch but some do hatch on the next day.

I have the gqf sportsman 1502 with the brooder trey. My question is how long should I leave my new baby chicks in the brooder trey? When I take them out do I put them in the brooder room at 95 degrees. My brooder room has a pool with 2 heat lamps and soft dry hay in the pool that sits on a 2 inch sponge for extra warmth.

I have the gqf sportsman 1502 with the brooder trey. My question is how long should I leave my new baby chicks in the brooder trey? When I take them out do I put them in the brooder room at 95 degrees. My brooder room has a pool with 2 heat lamps and soft dry hay in the pool that sits on a 2 inch sponge for extra warmth.

First
welcome-byc.gif
I have an older sportsman cabinet but it also has a hatching tray in the bottom. Personally I don't use it because I don't hatch in it any more. I use my older stryofoam incubators as hatchers. I have a brooder cabinet and then the chicks go into a brooder coop. Here are some pictures. They may give you some ideas. It's just the way I hatch.

Wow you have a great set up. Someone told me to keep the chicks in the trey until they dry and remove them, i did and they both died already. They were very small, stumbled around and weak but we had hopes. I might try to find a brooder with treys like an old gqf brooder, It might help.

Does anyone know how long I can leave my chicks in the gqf 1502 brooder trey? I heard an hour ,just when there dry and a week. Any advice ?

Wow you have a great set up. Someone told me to keep the chicks in the trey until they dry and remove them, i did and they both died already. They were very small, stumbled around and weak but we had hopes. I might try to find a brooder with treys like an old gqf brooder, It might help.

I took mine out pretty quick even before they were dry. I have accidentally had the chicks hatch in the trays because I mis-marked my calendar and thought I had a few more day before they were supposed to hatch. Now I just like to hatch them out in the styrofoam incubators. And after they are dry they go into the cabinet brooder. I usually do staggered hatches too. That is just what works for me.

Thanks for the advice and help, thats a good idea. We had some more hatch tonight and there doing good.
263a.png
I appreciate it.

I use the calender on my phone. I put it on my home page and write the no.s that need to go into the hatcher on that date. I would forget if i didnt and it would be a mess.

Can't remember if I posted to this thread but if I did regarding hatching the AUSTRALIAN BLACK SWAN and 4 EGYPTIAN GOSLINGS want to report they are doing great at a little over 3 weeks old. The geese went to a new home today and I believe the Swan is not lonely at all but instead enjoying the peace and quiet. Those goslings were so bothersome to the swan. I love my GQF Cabinet Incubator I bought a few years ago. It's working well hatching peafowl and now rare waterfowl. I started using the 5 gallon bucket on top last year and that is a huge time saver not having to constantly fill the water tray. I'm actually thinking about getting another but my husband is reminding me this is a hobby and I'm nuts wanting to hatch more eggs, LOL!! Problem is the swan eggs are large so don't know how I'm going to have enough room with peafowl breeding starting soon. Love this thread and all the photos shared. Thanks much.

Back
Top Bottom