Tips and tricks on keeping one pet hen inside my bedroom?

twendt

Songster
Feb 23, 2019
SE Wisconsin
I hope this is a JOKE, It's the most selfish, inhumane keeping of an animal that thrives on exploring and being free I've ever heard!! Even when the temperatures are in the "teens" outside, my girls insist on being outside of the coop pecking and scratching. I know that any of my girls would miserable not being able to BE A CHICKEN!!!

twendt

Songster
Feb 23, 2019
SE Wisconsin
Simon, when I brood my little chicks 2-3 at a time in my basement, they make EVERYTHING very dusty. I have to clean my basement thoroughly after their stay. They are only there for 8-10 wks and then go outside where they belong. I can't imagine the dust and mess ONE chicken would make in the house. Consider a different pet.

rosemarythyme

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
If you want a house pet, have you considered a cat or small dog? Maybe a guinea pig or hamster?
Maybe a parakeet or budgie would be a better consideration? :)
Considering the poster's schedule, I think I'd have to suggest a rodent (or two) as an alternative. Dogs, especially young or small ones, don't do well being left alone for 11 hrs straight without some amount of mess happening. Even a parakeet won't do well without regular interaction, as they're quite smart.

A pair of small rats or a hamster would fit the schedule requirement as well as the type of cage shown.

chinwok

Chirping
Dec 15, 2019
Thank you everyone for your advice! I have decided to skip keeping a hen indoors.

I have settled on this white ringneck dove instead. It's bigger than a parakeet and there is hardly any mess or smell.
dv.jpg

When I was at the feed store, they had coturnix quails too. Would they make okay pets indoors since they are way smaller than chickens?

cluckmecoop7

Free Ranging
Jan 4, 2019
North East USA
I don't know much about ringneck doves or quail, but someone will come along.
I do know that ringneck doves should not be exposed to drafts though.
Good luck finding a pet! :)

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Thank you everyone for your advice! I have decided to skip keeping a hen indoors.
Good decision.

Forum for both these species here, links below so you can ask questions.
I have settled on this white ringneck dove instead.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/pigeons-and-doves.52/

they had coturnix quails too. Would they make okay pets indoors since they are way smaller than chickens?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

Top Bottom