Tips for getting pigeons to lay eggs.

MLG1900

Songster
Dec 27, 2017
Hello,
I have 6 pigeons. I have had them for 5 years and have never had any eggs. I started with 3 sets of babies from a friend. They were from the same parents. I lost 2 birds to a hawk. Each was from a separate hatch or clutch. (not sure of the correct term) Then after 3 to 4 years of no eggs (I have seen a pair mating, though) I read and watched some videos on sexing pigeons and picked two new pigeons from my friend. This time the parents were different and we felt for spacing between the vent bones. It seems that these two new pigeons have paired up with the older pigeons. But still never any eggs. The two birds that I actually see mating are always together. But I don't noticed any of the other birds mating. Any ideas? Is it possible they are all males? I pretty much see them all strutting around, even the two that I see mating. Really would like to have babies!

It's definitely possible that you got really unlucky and ended up with all males. Males can pair up together. How long have you had the two new ones, and how old are they?

It's definitely possible that you got really unlucky and ended up with all males. Males can pair up together. How long have you had the two new ones, and how old are they?

I am pretty sure this summer they will be 2 years old. How old are they supposed to be before they start laying eggs? I figured at least 1 year old they would be mature enough?

I am pretty sure this summer they will be 2 years old. How old are they supposed to be before they start laying eggs? I figured at least 1 year old they would be mature enough?

Yep, definitely old enough to be laying. What's your loft setup like in terms of nest boxes?

Maybe you could post some pictures of your birds? I'm not the best at sexing pigeons by looking at them, but I can tag some people who have more experience with that.

Yep, definitely old enough to be laying. What's your loft setup like in terms of nest boxes?

Maybe you could post some pictures of your birds? I'm not the best at sexing pigeons by looking at them, but I can tag some people who have more experience with that.

Ok, thank you. I will try and get some pictures. I have just a couple of older pictures i can share now. I made a loft almost identical to my friends. She never had nest boxes. They just nested in the corners on the floor. She actually loaned me her breeding pair and I had them in my loft for a year and they laid and hatched my two original clutches. Plus I think she had given me a pair that the parents had just weaned. So had 3 sets of "babies" plus the parents. I gave the parents back but the 3 sets I was left with never laid eggs. With troubleshooting, someone suggesting making nest boxes. So, I just mounted an old plastic cat food container to the wall. I have seen a pigeon in there but I wonder if it is too small. I then tried to make a shelf on the back wall with 3 divided sections but, again, maybe too small. I would put nesting materials there but it would always end up on the floor. This year I saw a video where someone used dog food bowls from the dollar store. Well, I had a couple of plant pots the same size and placed them on the floor with pine shavings. I actually got excited because I would find pigeons laying in the pots. But after weeks of this. Nothing! Then eventually the bowls got dirty and they stopped laying in the pots.

redbandpigeon.jpg
greenbandpigeon.jpg
blackbandpigeon.jpg

Ok, the red band and green band birds are from the same clutch. The black band bird is the one I see mating with my brown band bird. More pics to follow.

Ps. these pics are from 2017. the green and red bird wing feathers are either messed up from fighting or a molt. I will try and go out and get some pics of the others now

brownband2.jpg
brownband.jpg

brownandblackband.jpg

In all these pictures, brown band bird is on the left and black band bird on the right. These are the two I have seen mating. But they have been mating for 2 summers.

Edited to add that these two birds were probably born 2015 from same parents but different clutches.

I will try and get pictures of the two newer birds but right now they will not come out and are too flighty inside the coop for pics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom