Tips for getting through first cull.

I am a hunter - shot hundreds of animals over my life span - here’s the way I look at killing an animal - everyone of them will eventually die - if your talking about a wild animal like a deer it will die either from starvation ,disease ,being hit by a car , torn apart by a bunch of coyotes or some other painful manner - being hit by a 30:06 is by far the easiest way to go - this is true of all wild animals

Now when you talk about an animal you raised the same thing applies - it is going to die someday - usually a long painful death unless you kill it quick - chopping off its head is by far the painless way to go - so look at it this way - you are doing it a favor by killing it

I read where people go to all extremes trying to keep a sick chicken alive - many times it would be far better for the chicken if it was killed than to suffer - they all die the only question is how and when - you are doing a rooster a favor by killing it - it doesn’t have any thing to worry about after it is gone - hope that helps
Thank you, I don't think I can ever see taking away an unsuffering life as doing it a favor. But I do know it is sometimes neccissary. I wish I didn't have to end his life, but it is my only option.

I see where JoePa is coming from though. 🤔 I kind of feel the same way. Every bird hatched will die someday, somehow, no matter what you do. In the wild things die for terrible reasons and in horrible ways every day. It's the nature of life. Every thing born must die. To say that death is bad is to say that birth - which inevitably leads to death - is bad. I think death is more neutral and can be good or bad by how you've lived and died, not inherently by death alone.

Yes, he's unsuffering NOW, but not forever as long as you have to manage two roos. With ourselves and domestic animals, etc, we have a sort of mixed blessing where we have an opportunity to decide when and how something dies. And dying while unsuffering may seem pointless, but personally I'd rather my life and death serve a purpose, and going on to spawn and feed new life is a great death to me - honorable, powerful. It's the sort of end I'd seek for myself. And if I was missing out on a bunch of probably suffering in the future as a result, well, threaten me with a good time why dontcha. If I'm gonna die anyhow it might as well be worth it and a benefit to everyone.

It's all very philosophical and really dependent on your views on death. But those are mine. Life is wonderful and should serve to beget more life and joy and reduce suffering. Death is inevitable but should server the same purpose. There's no more honorable end than giving your life so something else can live.

It's simple, some people eat their birds. Accept it.
You don't agree and you've said so, and that's fine.
But your repeated objections are rude and disrespectful.
Please stop.

@aart what do you have against me? i understand now and have said so to @EmmaRainboe AND we are discussing how she can KEEP the roo. I was not being rude.

@aart what do you have against me? i understand now and have said so to @EmmaRainboe AND we are discussing how she can KEEP the roo. I was not being rude.

It can be very frustrating when someone is asking for advice regarding a specific topic and someone comes in, not presenting useful alternatives but simply negative feelings.

If someone is looking for advice on how to butcher and are struggling with how to complete that task, coming in with tearful emojis and telling them how you could never do that over and over is no more helpful than someone looking for medical care for a beloved pet and someone posting "Lol, just butcher and eat them! Chicken soup time! It's just a chicken!". It's dismissive towards a topic that's complicated and emotional and making it harder for the topic creator to do what they've set out to accomplish. That can be deeply upsetting.

Notice that even those of us trying to help the OP are completely open to them taking an alternative route if they decide that's best. It's up to the OP to make this choice, and we'd prefer them be able to do so without a guilty conscience fueled by someone else's sorrow, guilt, and life experiences. I suspect Aart is frustrated by the presence of those things and I can't blame them.

It may be wise to avoid topics of culling if they only serve to upset you.

I don't think it's ever about "needing" to eat our flock. Chances are good we've gotten rid of all our chickens long before we can no longer afford food for ourselves. We CAN go to a grocery, go vegan or whatever. It's about what's RIGHT to do and what's PRACTICAL. Don't be fooled, cornish cross can live for years and have a zeal for life too. They're very personable and easy to get attached too. Roosters of all sorts too.

The reality is, you have a rooster. You can't keep him but your choices are your responsibility and he's your responsibility now too. If you buy a broiler from the store instead of eating him, what sort of life did it lead? If he is given away for free, where would he be? If he was wild, where would he be? If he were hatched in a hatchery where would he be? I think you know the results of most of those situations for most male animals - especially chickens.

And it's hella not easy. It's OK to be intimidated and have a mixed bag of feelings. It's OK to need support and videocall someone you trust. (I threw a party for my first animal butchering.) It's OK to cry before, or cry after. But while you're doing it you have to be focused for his sake.

If this is something you're committed to doing I suggest getting comfortable with your uncomfortable feelings. If you can, give yourself a week and name him "Food". Every time you see him say "Hello food. You will be food soon. I love you.". Take some time to acclimate to this idea - rooster is loved AND ALSO food. You can love the things that become your food. You don't need to show him a good time, just give him normal good care and remind yourself that he IS food.

Do let yourself feel sad, but every time you do, recommit to the idea that he's your responsibility. Do spend time watching chicken butchering videos until you feel like you could do it in your sleep. Do imagine yourself or mock going through the motions. Do go easy on yourself leading up to the day of.

And on the day of, take deep breaths, steady your hands, say thank you and get it done quickly so it's not painful or wasteful. And then be kind to yourself for the rest of the day - you did something very hard.

And at the very last - cook him well in the tastiest way you can for a bird of his size and age. Make it as good as you can. It might sound silly, but how disrespectful to go through all that and take an entire life only to not like the result? He lived and died for you and you're not even gonna enjoy that gift? No sir. Be grateful and do your very best to appreciate the life that gives you life every step of the way.
:goodpost:

Don't worry about it, I didn't see it as negative. No need to feel upset. Simply a different opinion :D

Which I'm open to alternative solutions, infact would prefer it, if you have other better ways.
I PM'd you about it! Good to chat, thanks! I have more that one roo AND THEY GET ALONG. And their happy. Not saying you should not cull at all, thread watchers, but you don't always have to.

killing should never be an easy thoughtless thing.

Exactly. I'd worry about someone who didn't find it at least a bit solemn.

It needs to be done with respect, but it also needs to be done when the time comes.

Some lucky few roosters get to become flock roosters. For the rest they get a good life and, if we do our part right, a quick, clean, painless end.

The satisfaction of putting a meal you raised on the table is tremendous.

Back
Top Bottom