Tips for stubborn broody hen?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
We've had 2 broody hens this year but no space for more chickens so it hasn't been a good time. First one we put in a rabbit cage inside the coop for just a day or two before we let her outside in an area where she didn't have access to a nesting box and she forgot all about it quite quickly. We did the same thing with the second one but she insists on laying on the floor. She can be outside all day eating grass and doing her thing, but as soon as we put her inside again, still in the cage with most of the bedding removed so she can't get too comfortable, she becomes flat like a pancake. I'm not really sure what to do. She has no access to eggs, but still has food and water. Any tips? It's been a couple of weeks,

Does the cage have a mesh bottom? You need to air to flow under her, and keep her underside cool.
Ah, didn't think of that. No mesh bottom and I'm not really sure how to go about making that happen either. But I'll have a look around and see if I can fix something.

Ah, didn't think of that. No mesh bottom and I'm not really sure how to go about making that happen either. But I'll have a look around and see if I can fix something.
You could have a look on craigslist or something, and see if you can see a cheap used dog crate for sale.

Back
Top Bottom