Tips for thicker egg shells?

T3rrorToff33

Chirping
Nov 27, 2021
My button quail hen started laying eggs a little while ago but her eggs have started getting really thin shells! Im supplementing with oyster shell and eggshell, so i dont know what's going wrong? Any tips?

i don’t know much about quail but with My chickens I give them the eggs shells and some times the eggs have calcium spots on them so I don’t really know. Good luck though and happy new year!!!

If they are laying, Feed them a regular layer feed. That should take care of your problem. Also keep in mind when birds first start laying you could get super sized eggs, small eggs, shell less eggs.
Yeah she just started laying, though her first 2 eggs were so perfect so it got a bit discouraging when the 3rd and 4th were so thin shelled I could squish them without it breaking the egg skin

Don't confuse quail eggs with what you get from chickens. The membrane from a quail egg is much tougher and that's what keeps the egg in place. Unless the shell is easily separating from the membrane, I haven't found a great way to increase hardness.

Don't confuse quail eggs with what you get from chickens. The membrane from a quail egg is much tougher and that's what keeps the egg in place. Unless the shell is easily separating from the membrane, I haven't found a great way to increase hardness.
well my hen started eating her own eggs, presumably because they broke when shed step on them but yeah the shells are insanely thin, like crack when they hit the ground when the hen lays it thin 😬

well my hen started eating her own eggs, presumably because they broke when shed step on them but yeah the shells are insanely thin, like crack when they hit the ground when the hen lays it thin 😬
Quails eggs *don't* naturally have very weak shells. Good layer pellets and a good source of calcium ground up is the best way to try and improve them. Her eating her own eggs is weirdly a good way for her to get helpful nutrients and calcium lol. She could be slightly vitamin deficient or they could just be the kind of eggs she's going to lay. Unfortunately not all birds lay perfect eggs, you will have to invest in a tiny cushion to catch her eggs next time :jumpy

Found oyster shell works well for me and have seen others say it works great. Can find it in lots of pet shops

Back
Top Bottom