Tips giving pills to chickens?

Yeah unfortunately no one will help me šŸ˜­ it would be way easier.

How do you deal with when they start squirming + shriveling their head down and you can't really grab the beak? It's almost like I have to wait till she's completely exhausted and finally lets me get it in there.
They give up easily, best advice i can give is try not to get frustrated. Hold her tightly inbetween your thighs. I hold top part of beak with my pointer and thumb and hold the bottom with the middle finger. If you can wiggle the pill in there and then just push it down.

I have now had a fair bit of practice at doing this solo and it is now one of the few things I feel quite confident doing. I am right handed. Here is what I do:
1. Catch chicken. Not easy in many cases. By far the best time is at night when they are roosting. If you have a headlight with a red light they really are hardly bothered at all. If it has to be in daytime I lure with sunflower seeds placed in a cup between my feet and when they are distracted by all the goodies I pick them up.
2. Tuck chicken under left arm and carry to something of counter-top height. Stand chicken on counter top and lean over her so she remains trapped under your left arm. Sometimes I use a towel burrito but usually I skip the towel and just confine her between my arm and my body.
3. With index finger and thumb of left hand pull chicken's head up - mine often want to shrink their head into their bodies at this stage so it helps to hold their head up.
4. With middle finger of left hand (and often using right hand to help) force beak open and wedge middle finger of left hand in open beak so she can't close it. Pulling down on wattles can help open the beak but not always. Once you have your middle finger between the upper and lower beak do not let go! It doesn't hurt.
5. With right hand take the pill and insert it above the tongue and to the nearest side of the mouth - think of it like putting it in their cheek if they had one. As soon as you have done that remove your finger from her beak and she will swallow it on her own.
6. Give chicken a treat - both because she deserves it and because it will reassure you that the pill went down!
7. Give yourself a treat. You definitely deserve it!

Yeah unfortunately no one will help me šŸ˜­ it would be way easier.

How do you deal with when they start squirming + shriveling their head down and you can't really grab the beak? It's almost like I have to wait till she's completely exhausted and finally lets me get it in there.
I do the kneeling over, with the chicken between my legs on the ground when I am by myself. There is a lot of waiting for them to calm down. Once they stop struggling, I cup the back of their head with my left hand, and hold my right hand over their face, usually around their beak on the bottom, making sure they can still breathe. I wait again for her to stop struggling. I open the beak with my right, prop my left fingers on either side of the beak to get it to stay open then administer.

I am sure that if you are able to pull it off a couple times it will start to feel easier. Those first times might seem a little crazy, though. I'll bet you just have a fighter on your hands.

Cradle the bird in your forearm. Use your thumb and fingers to pull down on the wattles and her mouth will open. With your free hand, quickly put the pill in her mouth and immediately let go of the wattles so she can swallow the pill on her own. Release her.

I do this for liquids as well; liquid wormers and/or vitamin supplements.
If the hen shakes her head while pulling down on the wattles, hang on and she will tire.
It's best to do this procedure early in the morning when it's still dark. Birds are easier to snatch off the roost and they cant see in the dark. Bring a small flashlight so you can see what you're doing.

If the pills are too big, use a pill cutter to half it or quarter it.

Hi there. Does anyone have any tips to give chickens pills? I've watched a lot of YouTube videos, observed my vet do it three times now (wrap in a towel hold beak open with fingers) and it's still incredibly frusterating to nail down. I'd actually rather go to the dentist than pill a chicken at this point.

I've tried the crushing it up and hiding it in food thing more times than I can count and it works for one day. Then they can figure out. Masking the bitter with sugar or juice doesnt help, even using their favorite treats. They know it's in there and refuse to eat it. Its only me administering the medication no one else in my home will help.

Thanks everyone
I'm having exactly the same issue with antibiotics that must taste terrible because she's also figured out that it's hidden in her fav treats and won't touch them now. I've resorted to using a mortar & pestle to crush the pill and putting into water and syringing it under her tongue. I did it by myself for the first time using a towel over her wings, gently squeezing her between my legs, holding her head and neck & propping open her beak with one hand and slowly but firmly squeezing the syringe. Sometimes I have to do it in two or three squeezes to give her time to swallow. It's not easy! I will try the yogurt or pudding idea that someone shared here. I'll also try crushing and mixing with scrambled eggs.

My vet showed me how to use a pet piller. It's really fast. I hold them under my left arm, hold their beak open with my left index and thumb fingers. Insert the piller to the side of their mouth and down into their throat. Do not aim for the center because that goes to their lungs but to the left or right side is fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240213_202338_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240213_202338_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1
I feel you! ā¤ļø I have been having the exact same experience. I have to get my hen an antibiotic twice a day, and it is really hard for both of us. Same thing - my tricks would work one time and she figures it out. I tried everything and finally have to hold her down. It sucks, and it's just me doing it as well. I tuck her under my arm like a football and sit down so she can stand on my leg. She seems fairly calm, but she shrivels her head away from me and it take some doing. My girls is not as motivated by food as her sisters, so it has been a struggle (and not have the others eat her meds). I might try cooking up an egg - I haven't done that yet! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom