tips needed for slipping chicks under a broody - SUCCESS

goodguytx

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 11, 2008
Dallas
I have a broody hen that has been sitting for 4 weeks. Her eggs didn't make it. I switched wooden ones under her, and she's still sitting tight. I had some other eggs in the incubator which hatched today. I'd like to let her raise them. Any tips on making a successful transfer?

The hatched chicks are still in the incubator while the hatch is finishing.

Last edited:
First off, make sure you put them under her at night. Also, it has been my experience if you give her chicks that are between 1 and 2 days old, she will take them easier. A chick older than 2 days won't take to the hen very well, and a chick under 1 day can be seen as sick. I don't know why, but every time I have given a hen brand new hatchlings she has killed them. But you also need to watch her and make sure she takes them. In the future, it would be better to give her the eggs before they hatch, then you know for sure she will take them. And never give them chicks that are not the same age. A younger or older chick will look 'wrong' to her.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll chicken out on giving them to her. So far I've had 10 out of 24 hatch in my first time incubating. That's been stressful enough for a newbie.
smile.png
I'd hate to risk her killing one or two, so I'll go ahead and brood them myself.

After rereading the above advice, I think I'm going to try slipping the chicks under the broody tonight. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

I hope all goes well for you! My broody did very well at taking the chicks just make sure to watch how she does with them. Good luck!

You mean I have stay up half the night!
smile.png
I'm hoping no one wakes up if I do it close to midnight.

My babies woke up on the way down to the coop and were peeping their heads off. So much for sneaking in . . .

They fussed until they were put under the hen, then settled right down. Mama stopped pecking me when the last one stopped yelling.

Lots of good advice here. Thought I'd share this bit of advice I got from a friend and fellow chicken lover.

no need to be terrified. You need to be wearing a long shirttail (women have soft, worn aprons) to hold the peeps all huddled together. You're clutching the shirttail with one hand and exchanging the chicks for eggs with the other. The chicks will instantly go still when they feel their mother's warmth and soft feathers, I'll bet. The hen may not even wake up. The movement under her will feel natural. If the chick isn't totally under her feathers when you release it, it will instinctively scoot more under her and she will instinctively fluff her feathers more to enclose her babies.

I don't think do the apron, but I'll be sure to post my results tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom