Tips of feathers on head turning white/grey

Frozen

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 20, 2014
One chicken seems to have less feathers on her neck and so she looks a bit sick. Also the tips of the feathers on her head are turning grey or white. Any thoughts on what is happening?

It is an Americauna and about 1.5 years old hen.

It is about 10 Celcius 50F here at night and probably 15 C 60F in daytime and raining lots.

I recently treated her with Dusting Powder 5% Carburyl. I held her by the legs and shook it all over. Pretty hard to miss the head.

One chicken seems to have less feathers on her neck and so she looks a bit sick. Also the tips of the feathers on her head are turning grey or white. Any thoughts on what is happening?

It is an Americauna and about 1.5 years old hen.

It is about 10 Celcius 50F here at night and probably 15 C 60F in daytime and raining lots.

I recently treated her with Dusting Powder 5% Carburyl. I held her by the legs and shook it all over. Pretty hard to miss the head.

I had an EE that similarly went into mini molt like you described at about the same age, The following year she went into a full blown molt, pitiful looking.

The tips of the feathers on the head is the new feathers growing. It looks like that for my chickens and my budgie when he molts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom