Tips on getting Game Wardens on the ball?

Look in the phone book. Also call a respected gun dealer and ask for contacts. If you call the paper instead of writing, they may send out a reporter. They are always looking for human interest stories. Otherwise your letter may just end up as a letter to the editor. Have you called the police and 911 when these things happen? Is the guy just busy until Nov 6 or is he legally not able to trap until then? Call your county extension agent and see what strings they can pull. If it is legal to trap and kill coyotes right now, you might think about putting an add in the paper or Craigslist to see what help you can turn up.

He can't legally trap until Nov 6. Gun hunting allowed year round.

911 never crossed my mind. And the police are so corrupt here it probably wouldn't be worth the call. And what exactly would they do? The neighbors are the ones seeing the yotes attacking the horses. I can't see the pasture from the house, but they're practically right on top of them.

I'm having no luck finding the number for the game warden. Going to call the state park and dog warden to see if I can get a number for them. Have to wait until 9 to call. I'll see what they say, then I might just follow your suggestions.

I second the Craigslist ad - I have found it a great way to find people that are more than willing to help out. It's instant, free, and if you include the details from your original post, I'm sure people would offer to help. You can screen the people that respond to make sure they are responsible and accurate shooters, if trapping isn't an option right now.

Okay, won't even be able to get anyone in the government until Monday. Oh goody.

I'll have to talk to my stepfather about getting people up here. He owns the land.

And you probably think me an idiot by now, but how would you go about screening them? I'd have no idea where to start.

You have livestock, ask for help from the Game Commision because they are hurting your livestock. Farmers here get 10-15 deer tags a year because they hurt their crops, and those aren't animals. No one has a problem with coyotes being shot either. If worst comes to worst, SSS or TSS(trap, shovel, shut up). be safe and no one will know.

Honey, I'm sorry for your losses. I hope you get peace of mind soon.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Just ask them some general, open-ended questions about their hunting experience (particularly with coyotes) and let them know your concerns about having the houses and livestock so close - you should be able to get a good sense of how long they've hunted and how trigger happy they are (or aren't) by what information they offer. Hunters love to tell stories, too, so that should help you gauge their experience. Just get them talking (on the phone, before having them come out) and if you still aren't sure about a particular person, then pass.

Oh, and if you post it in Farm & Garden instead of Services or Wanted (which nobody reads, at least around here anyway), I think you might find that horse owners can be a very helpful bunch. This is a busy time of year for CL, too, with people both selling and stocking up on firewood and hay, and selling livestock before winter, so that works in your favor as well.

Ask about a federal trapper in your area.
We call ours and he will fly coulees shooting coyotes. Also has set up leg traps and neck snares.

My hands are tied until Monday on the government front. Hopefully they'll be helpful and direct me to federal trappers and such. I found finding anything out on the net dealing with WV is a big headache.

I just had a woman call about my mare, she was totally floored they were that bad, even attacking horses. I wonder if they were after them again last night. Gelding won't even go into the run in.
My sister heard me talking to the woman, apparently something has been stalking her down to the bus stop. She said something about it before, I just brushed it off as paranoia. Blah.

I'll hold off on craigslist until I have a chat with the game warden. Then I'll know where I stand there. They have to do something right?

I don't know how it is there, but around here the DNR isn't much help for people whose livestock are being attacked. They will generally deny there is a problem (or that the species even exists in that area), or blame it on stray dogs, leaving the owner to take care of it themselves. I hope you will have better luck with them in your state, maybe they are not all like that.

I won't tell you what to do, but I will say that if coyotes, coydogs, or whatever else were running my livestock, I would not be waiting until next week. They may not be able to take down a horse, but they can spook it and make it cause serious injury to itself by running into fences, etc. If you decide to wait, can you shut them in a barn or something at night?

Back
Top Bottom