Tips on rehoming a rooster?

Luckily we just got a call of someone who wants him and they live 5 min away!

I am ia fellow bay area chicken owner and in the exact same position as you. We have 2 beautiful 5-month old silkie roosters that I just cannot keep for noise-sake. Tried free give-aways on craigslist, feed stores, etc. I am not sure if you still have contact info for the people who took your rooster, but I would be willing to drive these guys to someone who would take them. Thanks

Hi there! Unfortunately the people we gave our rooster to happen to have just lost one. I wish they had a huge farm where they could take more. But I don't have the contact info for them anyway. If not for the aggression mine was showing I may have kept him. The neighbors were making comments but my girls are pretty darn loud. I don't know where in the Bay Area you are but Scott's Valley feed always has chickens that they keep. I can't imagine it would be hard to give two silkies away! Keep me posted depending where you live I could bring fliers to the feed stores close to me. I know how you feel I couldn't believe that I got no response from Craigslist. Such a bummer

Try these numbers, not sure which are still taking roosters but they all did at one time.

East County Animal Services (925)8037040
Rivertown Feed (707)7624505
Western Farm Center (707)5450721

I have a 16 week old Welsummer rooster in the SF Bay Area that I am trying to re-home.
I am running out of options and am considering the SPCA. Is this so bad? The Pennisula SPCA ( San Mateo, CA) told me they keep the roosters together in a barn yard.
I don't want him to be eaten.

Also, I didn't realize how likely to get a rooster when I raised chicks. In the future I will only buy adult hens.

The SPCA charges you to drop off. They told me $75.00. I mean I can't imagine too many people coming and paying the SPCA fees to adopt the chicken-my guess is most of them get euthanized anyway. I was in the same boat as you. Frankly I was a bit irked that the company sent us "extras" for "free" which of course one was a rooster. Maybe more were but we has a few die early on. Being new to this chicken thing I will for sure specify no "freebies" next time!! But I did read a forum on here saying there is a place (I think near Foster City) where you can bring your rooster. I think it's a park and they city feeds them and they just run around freely. I would check that out. I don't know where you are in the Bay but have you posted on Craig's list?

If you have a local ads' weekly paper, I would definitely put him in there. I had 2 free ducks and 2 free roosters in our local paper, and got 3 calls that same day! I just gave the roosters and duck a new home today. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom