Tips On Selling Eggs By The Road

That display looks like it’s kind of way up in your driveway? And also up on a hill a bit? I know for me personally, I wouldn’t want to pull too far into someone’s driveway and if I did, I sure wouldn’t want to climb up on a hill like that because I’d be worried I was like trespassing on someone’s property, you know? Like “Am I allowed to be up here?” type thing. Would it be possible to move the display down by the mailbox??? Or at least closer to the road? I think that might help a lot. And also paint it some brighter colors maybe.

I have passed signs like yours in rural KY and TN. However, it's always a little nerve racking to stop. First, I want to talk to someone about the eggs. I'll have questions! What do you feed them? How do you keep them? Also, clear instructions are good. You could add "self-serve" to the sign in big letters then post a laminated sign with payment instructions and some contact info. My biggest issue with stopping is trying to connect with someone, so knowing it is self service would make me more likely to stop. I've knocked on doors and gotten weird responses, like someone who doesn't live there answering the door and having no clue about the sign in the yard. I actually haven't stopped at a new place since that experience!

I have passed signs like yours in rural KY and TN. However, it's always a little nerve racking to stop. First, I want to talk to someone about the eggs. I'll have questions! What do you feed them? How do you keep them? Also, clear instructions are good. You could add "self-serve" to the sign in big letters then post a laminated sign with payment instructions and some contact info. My biggest issue with stopping is trying to connect with someone, so knowing it is self service would make me more likely to stop. I've knocked on doors and gotten weird responses, like someone who doesn't live there answering the door and having no clue about the sign in the yard. I actually haven't stopped at a new place since that experience!
This is a good point about wanting to ask questions. Maybe along with a self-serve sign, you could do a bullet pointed list of information like what they are fed, are non caged, etc.

This is a great topic for a post! We've been thinking about this as we figure out our future chicken goals.

We know people with great word-of-mouth success who deliver to loyal customers every couple weeks, and another route is to partner with neighbors already selling their wares at farmers markets. But if we were going to sell by the roadside, we'd...
  • As possible, post multiple signs telling people to "Stop here!" "Don't miss the best eggs in [your region]"
  • If your flock has legit, regular access to grass, use the buzz word "pastured" somewhere. Otherwise, "farm fresh" is compelling.
  • Jazz up the packaging: buy cardboard cartons and a custom stamp with your farm name.
  • Raise the price to $5.
  • Use the phrase "Honor System" on the price sign.
  • Add a QR code to pay with an app, for those not carrying cash.
  • If you want to get wild, start a social media profile for your flock where you talk about their diet, lifestyle, and broadcast when extra eggs are available. At your stand, add another QR code linking to that profile.
Those last 2 assume there's cell phone reception around your house. The overall idea is to build an identity and show confidence that your product is worth their time and money.

I need some tips on selling eggs by my road. I put them out everyday in a cooler with a big sign above them for $2.00. For some reason I don't really sell any. :(
Thanks all!
I don't know about selling on the road, but I only sell to people who will come to the gate, I put the eggs out after they call me and they leave empty cartons with the money inside. Works great, no problems. I could sell way more then I have. I sell about 7 doz a week, pays for the food. I would not use Craigs list, to many scams. By the way, I charge $3. Free range , sells for $7 or $8 at markets.
I need some tips on selling eggs by my road. I put them out everyday in a cooler with a big sign above them for $2.00. For some reason I don't really sell any. :(
Thanks all!

Is your sign parallel to the road? If so, people are RIGHT THERE before they see it. If it's perpendicular to the road, are the letters big enough to see? Drive by it yourself, purposely NOT looking for it, and see if it catches your eye. Drive at whatever speed people normally drive by; not slow enough to gawk. You want your sign to be the thing that makes them notice something is there.

A sign with a chicken might catch their eye. Bold colors, and contrast with the background. Right now, the ground is dead grass, beiges and browns. Soon it will be green. Your letters are red/orange, that contrasts with both.

Maybe add "Farm Fresh" so that there's more to see, and it also describes the product better.
Forgot to mention, I do have a sign, purchased from Amazon. Big, red,white and blue, says, "Laid in America", kinda cute, don;t you think. price is on the sign .

Back
Top Bottom