5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Australia
Hey
Im new here
We currently own two chickens
One leghorn and one ISA brown
We have recently upgraded our hutch so are looking at adding one more chicken
We have been offered pick of 10 week old barred rock pullets (they said they are all pullets)
I have this this photo and I'm worried the dark one may be a cockerel

We are going out later in the week to have a look and possibly pick one up
Any tips on what to look for to avoid getting a male would be much appreciated :)

Well, those are definitely not all barred rocks. Normally I'd say that that is a pullet, since barred rock females are much darker than barred rock males. However, I'm inclined to say that it's a mix with a barred rock mother and is in fact a black sex link male. That's way too much comb and wattles for a pullet to have at ten weeks.

Well, those are definitely not all barred rocks. Normally I'd say that that is a pullet, since barred rock females are much darker than barred rock males. However, I'm inclined to say that it's a mix with a barred rock mother and is in fact a black sex link male. That's way too much comb and wattles for a pullet to have at ten weeks.

That's what kinda confused me
But I'm also not that great with chicken breeds so thought it would be best to ask
Basicly we don't mind what breed we get just as long as it's a female as we can't have a rooster where we are
Would the one in the back be a female?

That isn't a Barred Rock. It looks like a Barred Rock mix, or a Black Sex-Link. The other birds in the photo aren't Barred Rocks either. Though, the bird in the back is a pullet. They all look like mixed breeds.

None of those birds are Barred Rocks. They may be Barred Rock mixes, or a completely different mix. The dark bird with the red comb is a cockerel.

So basicly if we do have a look red comb = male, hardly visible comb = female?

Not neccesarily. If they are 8 weeks old or less, a large red comb does usually mean male. And a hardly visible, flesh colored comb does usually mean female. But, if they are older, you can't be quite as sure. Some females develop quickly ( I once had a Wyandotte I was completely sure was a male at four weeks old, but the comb stopped getting larger/redder and I ended up with a hen). Some males take a long time to get a large comb.

Use the large comb, in combination with other traits, to guess on gender. A tall stance or less feathering compared to the other birds may mean male. Be on the lookout for pointy saddle feathers (longer back feathers near the tail). They look too young to show definitive pointy neck feathers, which also mean male. But, if you notice any, it's probably a cockerel.

Last edited:
Not neccesarily. If they are 8 weeks old or less, a large red comb does usually mean male. And a hardly visible, flesh colored comb does usually mean female. But, if they are older, you can't be quite as sure. Some females develop quickly ( I once had a Wyandotte I was completely sure was a male at four weeks old, but the comb stopped getting larger/redder and I ended up with a hen). Some males take a long time to get a large comb.

Use the large comb, in combination with other traits, to guess on gender. A tall stance or less feathering compared to the other birds may mean male. Be on the lookout for pointy saddle feathers (longer back feathers near the tail). They look too young to show definitive pointy neck feathers, which also mean male. But, if you notice any, it's probably a cockerel.
x2 on that.

Hmm thanks guys
Maybe we will just give it a miss and get another POL pullet from the place we got Penny and Speckles
That way we know the sex and that she will be healthy and its not as far to travel
Don't really feel confident in being able to pick a female :S

In your picture, the darker bird and the back end of the bird in front are both cockerels. The cute bird above the darker barred bird is a pullet, she's a mixed breed and would grow up to a nice, unique looking bird.

Good idea posting pics before you buy the bird--I with more folks did that! Lots of heartbreak could be averted.

Back
Top Bottom