tips on ways to give aspirin....

tscha1

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
New York
Hi all, I'm (still) dealing with a hen that has a swollen leg joint. I know aspirin is an anti-inflammatory but I can't get her to take it. She won't eat oatmeal anymore which is what I was originally mixing it in. I tried on a piece of bread. And I tried dropper feeding it too. She's being stubborn and this injury is taking a ton longer to heal. Any suggestions or tips? Or should I try something other than aspirin?
Thanks in advance!!

A couple of questions that may help us to answer your question better:

Is she eating at all, or is she just refusing food that you have mixed the aspirin into?

How long has she had the injury, and do you know what caused it?

How old is the bird, and is she in otherwise good health (is she laying, is her comb red, are her poops looking normal ...?)

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm (still) dealing with a hen that has a swollen leg joint. I know aspirin is an anti-inflammatory but I can't get her to take it. She won't eat oatmeal anymore which is what I was originally mixing it in. I tried on a piece of bread. And I tried dropper feeding it too. She's being stubborn and this injury is taking a ton longer to heal. Any suggestions or tips? Or should I try something other than aspirin?
Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to BYC! Can you post a picture of the swollen joint?

-Kathy

She seems to be eating and drinking ok. The injury is 2 weeks old now. One morning she just came out limping so I was thinking that she jumped off the roost wrong maybe. She was laying for a little bit but she has stopped laying now. Other than this injury she seems ok. Her comb is red, her poops are Farley normal. She has had some diarrhea on and off but I started giving her a probiotic in her water and it seems to be helping. She is also getting electrolytes and vitamins in her water too. And I was giving her vitamin b for a week to see if it was because of a deficiency. But then I really noticed the swollen joint. I'll post a picture of it if I can

I gave her a few Epsom salt soaks and even tried having her in a sling but she wasn't too cooperative with that. So I'm not sure what else to do other than keep her in the carrier away from the others and wait. When I had her in the coop still the head hen kept going after her and not letting her eat or drink

I have a hen with a similar issue. At first I though it was an injury, but now I am convinced it's a tendon sheath infection. What does the swelling feel like? Maybe try icing it for 20 minutes. If the swelling goes down, probably an injury.

-Kathy

Sunday before last I noticed my rooster with a slight limp and by the next day he could hardly walk so I put him in a coop all by himself. I couldn't see anything wrong with his legs or feet (no bumblefoot). I gave him a 81 mg aspirin twice a day by putting it inside a small grape tomato along with regular feed and water. He swallowed them whole with no problem. After the third day he was walking much better so I put him back with the hens and now he's fine.

I have a hen with a similar issue. At first I though it was an injury, but now I am convinced it's a tendon sheath infection. What does the swelling feel like? Maybe try icing it for 20 minutes. If the swelling goes down, probably an injury.

-Kathy

I will Def try that tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks!

I'll also try the grape tomatoe idea too.

-Kathy

The swelling just feels really warm and firm. Nothing soft or squishy. Do you treat that infection with antibiotics? Tylan?

Back
Top Bottom