1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tips onhowto encourge egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken boy123, Dec 3, 2012.

1. chicken boy123

chicken boy123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    Hey BYCers! I need some advice. How can i encourage my RIR hens to lay? I just got them [ they are almost 1 year old] and they are barely laying. I have 4 and theyre only laying 10-12 eggs a week. Am i expecting too much?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    With this time of year and the low daylight hours, the only thing you can do is add lighting to your coop. It doesn't have to be much, just enough to read a newspaper by. You want 14-15 hours of daylight. It's best to add light in the early morning rather than at night, so you don't mess up their roosting behavior.

1 person likes this.
  3. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I'm adding a light tomorrow. 1/14 isn't feeding the family. I got a timer and florescent light that hangs in the rafter at Lowes. I'm hoping for a quick egg count increase.

4. chicken boy123

chicken boy123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    thanks so much! will do. Should i expect a higher egg count in spring?

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You say you just got them, so the stress of being moved and the new home could be to blame also. Stressed hens don't lay well. If you give them the extra light in the mornings, as Happy Chooks suggested and a little more time to settle in they should start laying more eggs before Spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by