Tips & Tricks for moving with chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Daddas1Punkin, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    Well next month we say 'goodbye' to this current house, and 'hello' to the house of our dreams! Well, I would like to know anything I should about moving with chicks & chickens. Would someone like to help please?
    We have a month till we move in (the first week in April) and about two weeks to fix it up a little. [​IMG] Will the chickens do okay? I know the babies won't care, but I don't know about the big chickens. Also, do think they should be moved in crates/boxes or be moved in a box truck in their coop? Would they do fine in their coop in the truck? Do you think? lol Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

To clarify, you are moving your entire coop?!

Depending on how far, I'd lean towards putting them in closely confined boxes so they don't get tossed around in the move. I have moved my birds and that worked well.

Also, I did it at sunset so they were calm and settled.

Good luck and congrats on getting yer dream house!!

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Boxes are the way to go. The lid, or folded together flaps, keeps them dark and calm and if short enough keeps them in a stable sitting position. That's the way I'd go for anything less than 5 or so hours away.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with the boxes. If it's a smaller, confined space, and dark, it tends to keep the birds calmer. Just be sure there is ventillation, of course. They're fine without food or water for a few hours, this time of year I'm guessing it's not too warm, depending on where you are. Cardboard boxes or larger dog crates work well. Good luck on your move.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Boxes are good. Put some hay on the bottom for traction. No food or water............Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by