Tips, Tricks or Other Ideas for Convincing Parents to Let Me Get Fish?

lovetopaint

Chirping
5 Years
Hello everyone!
I really want fish. However, the one issue here is that I happen to be under the age of 18. For now. Yes, I am enjoying youth, but unfortunately I don't have a say as to what pets I am allowed to get or not.
I have successfully convinced my parents to get us/me a dog, cats, anoles, a budgie, chickens, a guinea fowl, and a horse (soon). I'm pretty sure that a mini horse and goats, and probably peafowl, are in the not-too-distant future as well. I am the primary caretaker of these animals, especially the budgie. These animals are essentially my life. I love them to pieces!
Sadly, whenever we discuss fish I seem to hit a roadblock. Probably the reason for this is that when I was 4, we had a couple goldfish. Being so young, I couldn't really do much except feed the fish twice a day. My parents cleaned the tank and tested the water, as well as paid for all this. They seem to think that I just didn't *want* to do any of the fish chores. So now they still think that I'll be neglecting fish if I ever get any.
So, after nearly a month of research, library trips, and midnight planning, I have prepared a packet of info for my parents. This includes tank plans, fish species, and a budget plan.
I will be paying for EVERY LAST CENT of this affair. Building costs, feeding, water testing kits, toys, plants, the actual fish, etc. The tank will be in our unfinished basement where they won't even have to look at it.
So now...does anyone have any tips for successful convincing of parents to allow me to get fish?
Thanks!

I would thank them for allowing you to have all the other pets.and reaffirm them of how well you have taken care of all the other pets.it could be there worried that you have to much on your hands already.

It sounds like a lot of critters to take care of, especially if there are also plans for a horse, goats and peafowl in the works in addition to what you already have. That's a lot of work and a lot of expense. So I'm not sure what else you could do other then what you are already doing to convince them. I guess it would also depend on how big you are wanting to go with the tank etc.

My younger boy has always enjoyed keeping a variety of animals but as he got older, especially now that he's in high school, he's found it harder to find time for all of that in addition to school so as some of them have passed on in recent years we've kept the numbers smaller and more easily managed.

Thanks for your reply!
Well I'm homeschooled, live in the country, and the only reason I ever look at a screen is to check email or go on here. I'm serious. The basement is my 'lair', so I spend at least two hours down there every day. The only sport I do is horse-riding. I'm not very busy!
One other question: I want a betta. I have done my research on tank temps, fin nipping, etc, but I do have a 3g tank in our garage right now that I could easily buy a filter etc for and set up if the betta dug her feet in.
So would it be feasible to pop the (female) betta in the tank and if there were issues, just move her 'next door' to the 3g where she could live in solitude?
I've heard that it depends on the betta...
Thanks!

Definitely depends on the types of fish you mix with the betta I think. Most other species are too fast for the slow little betta! I kept a betta fine with some platys and Cory cats. He tried to nip fins but it was a futile attempt! The other fish were too fast! I think fish like fancy guppies or slow things like angel fish would be easy targets. Also, you have to be careful about other fish attacking the betta more than the betta attacking them. The large fins make nice targets. Things like gouramis can be very aggressive towards other fish, especially bettas!

Here's a list of species I am considering for the tank:

Black Molly
Blonde Delta Guppy
Gold Twinbar Platy
Mickey Mouse Platy
Marigold Variatus
Red Gold Tuxedo Guppy
Red Wag Platy
Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy
Sunburst Platy
Sunburst Wag Platy
Zebra Danio

Are any of those guppies too enticing for a betta? I'd appreciate any help!
Male bettas are prettier, but I would easily settle for a female. Would either work?
I've read that under 74 degrees is surviving and over 78 degrees is thriving for a betta. If I were to keep the temps around 78 degrees, would that even be remotely cheap? Like, under $50? This tank (if it happens) will be a monster. About 180 gallons.
Thank you so, so much!

By the way, I talked to my parents. They want to think about it for awhile. But I think they'll at least say I can get a few fish.
wee.gif

And they didn't even spazz out when I told them the dimensions! (6' x 2' x 2')

With a tank that size, I think the betta should be fine! Males and females can be equally aggressive and females are faster because they are more streamlined. So for a community tank, I would stick with a male. I would also suggest at least a trio of Cory cats (with a tank that large, you wouldn't nevessarily have to stick with dwarf species). I had a trio of dwarf albinos and they were amazing at cleaning up the tank. I only had a ten gallon though with 4 platys, a betta, and three Cory cats. Cory cats like to be in groups, so the more the merrier! Sometimes they'll breed too!

I actually introduced some little pond snails into my tank and the betta did an excellent job keeping them under control. He loved to eat them! It was good stimulation for him. Though I realize not everyone wants a ton of snails! But a breeding pair of Apple snails (otherwise known as mystery snails in the pet store world) would do the same job nicely without exploding the tank with snails!

I did a lot of fish shopping on aquabid.com. You'll be sorry I told you about that site!

I appreciate your help! I'll have to start doing some betta research! I must have checked out every book from the library on fish....
Actually I am planning on getting some Apple Snails. I've heard they lay their eggs around the rim of the tank--if I let them be, how many little snails can hatch? I'm envisioning giant snails taking over the world....

Back
Top Bottom