Tired of apologizing for my addiction

When we told my neighbors we were getting chickens, they actually said "You HAVE to get a rooster".
When free-ranging, they all end up in that neighbors yard first. I have mentioned all the bad things to them ( poop on their deck and lawn furniture, digging in their flowers etc). They kept saying you can hose off the deck, and the flowers needed to be weeded. I wasn't sure if they were just being polite or not, until I found out that they have told everyone they know how the chickens come to visit them. They talked the other neighbors into liking them also. When I got home from work, I'd see them sitting outdoors surrounded by chickens, feeding them treats( which they asked us first if they could).
Unfortunately, the chickens took to wandering prety far, and someone from way behind us complained. So chickens got locked up. And my neighbor is not happy- she misses having the chickens in her yard and on her deck.

I'd say to talk to the neighbors, and like cyrixlord said- give them your phone number and tell them you WILL pen them up if they start to be a nuisance. You might offer to clean their porch of chicken doodoo, and warn them that if they do feed the chickens- they WILL keep coming back.
My neighbors still bring the chickens treats even though they are penned. And one day at the end of summer, she told me she loved watching the chickens, and felt they kept her from going crazy ( older woman who got laid off her job)

Back
Top Bottom