Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

What about you? It’s the first time I’ve ever received shipped eggs that weren’t double boxed. They were just wrapped in 1 layer of bubble wrap and just thrown in a small box.
Okay, eBay right? The reason I ask is because the person was very well rated and an NPIP inspector himself...or at least it said in the description. The one FBCM boy (BC OF COURSE IT IS A BOY!!!) I got is big and healthy, but no others hatched. In fact, it's the first time I've had the "rotten egg" smell in my incubator although I've heard about it for years. I think it was Cedar Hill Marans.

This is my first time trying to hatch eggs at home and I'm finally at day 10 and want to candle my babies to see who's developing and who's not. What should I be seeing to determine one that's developing vs one that has stopped?

The black is the chick (middle right near the veins) See the veins? You'll see it growing more and more every time you candle. Movement is a key indicator that the chick is still alive. Sometimes you might not see a chick moving because they like to sleep a lot, so mark those eggs somehow... I usually put a question mark on the egg and then I will check them again two or three days later.

IMG_20200223_134404.jpg

Okay, eBay right? The reason I ask is because the person was very well rated and an NPIP inspector himself...or at least it said in the description. The one FBCM boy (BC OF COURSE IT IS A BOY!!!) I got is big and healthy, but no others hatched. In fact, it's the first time I've had the "rotten egg" smell in my incubator although I've heard about it for years. I think it was Cedar Hill Marans.

Good to know to avoid in the future. And yes of course it’s a boy. 😅 I’m sure if I have one hatch it’ll be a Cockerel as well. Mine were from Chasin Shade. She bragged about being a master at packaging shipped eggs so I was all excited but that was not the case. I think I’m done buying shipped eggs from eBay. I really need to find some quality Marans eggs, but I don’t think eBay is the way. I have 6 on the way from Sky Girl Farms in the next couple weeks. Hoping at least 3 hatch but I’m thinking I’m going to look at the Marans Club breeder directory and try to find some to get shipped from a neighboring state. I didn’t see any breeders in Colorado on that list.

Hmmmm I've been contemplating going that route if none of my new set hatch or aren't up to snuff. I'm really wary of ebay tho.

Back
Top Bottom