Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Day 18 Update
All 14 fertile eggs that started developing are still alive! Humidity has been right on track, based on average weight loss (11.8%).
  • 1 BBS marans
  • 1 Lav marans
  • 2 Partridge orpington
  • 3 Olive egger
  • 1 Opal legbar
  • 6 CCL backyard mix (possible fathers are bresse/oprington/CCL
Here they are:
View attachment 2041048
(some of those air cells look small in this photo but I think it's just the angle)

Because I'm doing a staggered hatch, I decided to create a little safety container for the eggs that are only on D5 right now. Here it is:
View attachment 2041049
I made grooves and notches, so I wouldn't have to use hot glue. I can roll the whole thing from side-to-side to get the eggs to rotate. (I removed a bit more from around the fan, after I took the below photo)
View attachment 2041046

The finished result!
View attachment 2041047

I'm trying to decide whether to keep my humidity low (25-30%) over the next 24-28 hours. While the average weight loss is dead on for the clutch as a whole, there are both wet and dry outliers, and I'm always nervous with the wet ones, due to a horrific first hatch. What do you guys think?

I am doing a staggered hatch too and I’m just going to keep the humidity around 35-40% until I see a pip and then I’ll raise it. That is, if either of my 2 Marans eggs hatch. 😣

Have you played them chick sounds?
One is making a ton of noise already so it's got the noises covered 😂 very big loud mouth... Like it's dad. HeiHei our sebright screams at everyone. Should've seen him with the hen we just got... He wants a piece of her.

The new hen honestly is living with 15 chicks and doesn't care. She's been just hanging with them. She didn't even peck them. I've never seen a hen so calm.

I am doing a staggered hatch too and I’m just going to keep the humidity around 35-40% until I see a pip and then I’ll raise it. That is, if either of my 2 Marans eggs hatch. 😣
X3 with the staggered hatch going. I have tons of polish eggs that I put in the day we get them from her. I'm creating a Polish chicken army 😂 She stopped laying though... I think she's onto me 👀

lockdown is my least favorite time! It's too suspenseful!

I actually enjoy lockdown when I'm hatching chickens, turkeys, or quail now because I've gotten really comfortable with their time frame. Something finally snapped in my brain from hatching so many I think :lau . Now waterfowl and peachicks are still a source of stress/excitement once lockdown arrives...and of course I'm hatching geese again so I'm sure I'll lose some sleep this month. :lol:

I actually enjoy lockdown when I'm hatching chickens, turkeys, or quail now because I've gotten really comfortable with their time frame. Something finally snapped in my brain from hatching so many I think :lau . Now waterfowl and peachicks are still a source of stress/excitement once lockdown arrives...and of course I'm hatching geese again so I'm sure I'll lose some sleep this month. :lol:
I stopped candling the duck eggs 😂 they take too long for me. I just want them out so I can send them on their way and have my bator back.

Back
Top Bottom