Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Despite my spectacular failure of a first hatch I'm going to try again starting Sunday. I was given some advice after losing Uno that you should only set your eggs by the farmers almanac 🤨🤔🤨. Has anyone actually used this method or is this just more "wisdom" from my in-laws trying to educate city girl me about farm life?

Sometimes other factors kick in too. Like shipping or weather. My first year, almost everything I put in the incubator was hatching, and it was a cheapy one from china. Last year I got a Nurture right 360 and i couldn't seem to hatch a thing. This year so far is so good. We will see how it goes at the end of the month. But each batch is a learning experience.

No. It's like astrology. So if you believe in that stuff, go for it. I don't so I don't. Incubating takes practice. With time you'll learn and get better results.
Ok I was pretty sure it was something along those lines but didn't want to offend my in-laws by saying I think they're crazy :oops:. My other half has already set down and gone over everything we did with our borrowed ancient relic of an incubator and has laid out a detailed strategy for the next hatch.

Sometimes other factors kick in too. Like shipping or weather. My first year, almost everything I put in the incubator was hatching, and it was a cheapy one from china. Last year I got a Nurture right 360 and i couldn't seem to hatch a thing. This year so far is so good. We will see how it goes at the end of the month. But each batch is a learning experience.
This was my first hatch ever with a mix of eggs from my girls and roo. They were going to be backyard mixes but I didn't mind. I've learned a lot from this and my other half has promised if we lose the entire hatch again he's buying me a Nature Right 360 bc he's researched it and likes it. Mostly I think he doesn't want to watch me get upset about losing all the babies despite being super vigilant and diligent about monitoring the incubator.

This was my first hatch ever with a mix of eggs from my girls and roo. They were going to be backyard mixes but I didn't mind. I've learned a lot from this and my other half has promised if we lose the entire hatch again he's buying me a Nature Right 360 bc he's researched it and likes it. Mostly I think he doesn't want to watch me get upset about losing all the babies despite being super vigilant and diligent about monitoring the incubator.

Honestly price for value that incubator is worth every penny. I know i didn't have great hatches with it last year. but considering that I had several shipments of eggs that barely made it to me at all I felt lucky to get the 10 hatched that I got.

I totally forgot about the hatch this week. It hit me when I got in last night that it was day 20. I hadn’t removed the turning tray or put down shelf liner yet. I could hear chicks chirping, but couldn’t see any pips, so I decided to switch them to a different incubator. As usual, as soon as I picked up an egg, I saw the pip. I m/oved them anyway, and for good measure, candled too. I had 2 that quit developing, and 12 (?) still kicking. So, in they went. BTW during all that I discovered 3 had pipped.

Luckily, I didn’t shrinkwrap anyone. All 12 (!!) hatched today. Sadly, 1 is going to be a cull. One other has something not good going on with umbiical and all, but we will see how it is doing in the morning. The cull is a little Altsteirer hatched with a cross beak and missing an eye. Pics of the crew in the morning.

In emu news, eggs B, C, and D are definitely wiggling!

I totally forgot about the hatch this week. It hit me when I got in last night that it was day 20. I hadn’t removed the turning tray or put down shelf liner yet. I could hear chicks chirping, but couldn’t see any pips, so I decided to switch them to a different incubator. As usual, as soon as I picked up an egg, I saw the pip. I m/oved them anyway, and for good measure, candled too. I had 2 that quit developing, and 12 (?) still kicking. So, in they went. BTW during all that I discovered 3 had pipped.

Luckily, I didn’t shrinkwrap anyone. All 12 (!!) hatched today. Sadly, 1 is going to be a cull. One other has something not good going on with umbiical and all, but we will see how it is doing in the morning. The cull is a little Altsteirer hatched with a cross beak and missing an eye. Pics of the crew in the morning.

In emu news, eggs B, C, and D are definitely wiggling!

Lucky you! I tried to forget, but didn’t work. I’ve candled the little buggers so many times this week, will not lie :lol:

You have one week left for the emus, correct?!

The second of the two Birchen Marans eggs hatched this afternoon! I'm very happy, as my Marans track record is terrible, lol. There are still 12 eggs in the hatcher on day 22.5, plus the second frizzle OE is currently zipping. I candled this afternoon to check the slow pokes.
20200313_234532.jpg

Back
Top Bottom