Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Yes that is correct. I do staggered hatches in one incubator and it's such a pain! I'm shocked my chicken eggs made it through a staggered hatch with duck eggs without any negative effects because I did have to jump up the humidity a few times when they were hatching (I never use water in my incubators usually). This time my chicken eggs are hatching before the duck eggs so I won't have an issue.

I just need to remember this time to put the shelf liner so my incubator stays clean.
Could I run the turner until day 20 on 1st bach, which batch 2 would 13 days and keep humidity low around 45 - 50 % I have been running humidity dry at 35%

Could I run the turner until day 20 on 1st bach, which batch 2 would 13 days and keep humidity low around 45 - 50 % I have been running humidity dry at 35%

It would be better to take them out of the turner and hand turn the second batch until you see external pips and then stop. The other eggs need to stop turning so they can get into position for hatch. I have had a chick that pipped while still in the turner, it happens, but you're more likely to have malpositions.

Last chick hatched. It's a showgirl/cochin. It'll probably be frizzled too. So cute. :) I got 27 total but I don't remember how many I set. 9 of 12 shipped eggs hatched. 1 is still having problems but I'm happy with those numbers.
20200316_074711.jpg

It would be better to take them out of the turner and hand turn the second batch until you see external pips and then stop. The other eggs need to stop turning so they can get into position for hatch. I have had a chick that pipped while still in the turner, it happens, but you're more likely to have malpositions.
Your are so right, I will take out the turner on day 18 and hand turn batch 2 then. Thank you

I have been reading some on BYC, where some move eggs to a Hatcher for lockdown. So I was a little confused, I am doing a staggered hatch where when 1st Bach will be on D21 when the 2nd will be on D14. That means I'll have to move those from 1st batch to another incubator
I have two incubators one is a dedicated incubator the other is a dedicated hatcher so I can clean between hatches and it doesn't effect other eggs that I have in the incubator.

It died. It was malpositioned and couldn't pip. It's bill was all the way down by the pointed end of the shell.
I'm so sorry you lost your baby. :hugs

I'm catching up. I was helping my mom this weekend get everything she needs to weather the Coronavirus without going out since she's 84 this year and totally didn't get any notifications and the thread exploded over the weekend lol.

Okay just had to catch up for some reason I got no notifications all weekend and came on the computer today to an explosion of posts.

I locked down 2 eggs on Sunday night that will hatch Tuesday into Wednesday. After they are done I have my Chocolate Mottled eggs going in to hatch. Tammy dropped off another 8 eggs for me on Saturday that I loaded into the incubator so I will definitely have babies for the April Hatchalong. Humidity in the hatcher is at 36 with nothing added. We'll see what happens.

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. :hugs

I'm catching up. I was helping my mom this weekend get everything she needs to weather the Coronavirus without going out since she's 84 this year and totally didn't get any notifications and the thread exploded over the weekend lol.
Hope your mom stays home! I'm on house arrest by my family. I'm not allowed to leave our property so I'm just watching Netflix and reading.

Back
Top Bottom