Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

(Also replying to @Phillyndilly )

I only hatched out about half of the viable eggs I set during my first hatch. When I set the eggs I only had a theoretical understanding of the artificial incubation process, so I was pretty happy with this result. I wish I knew why half of them died right before they hatched, but I will probably never figure it out.
Yes honestly I was kinda happy with my first hatch it was 6 eggs and 3 hatched well 4 but that was the one that died. But when it happened the second time with so many dead I got upset. That’s when I needed to know why! Ugh it does make me feel better that I’m not alone and that it is common though

Candling results for chicken eggs due 3/31:
Screenshot_20200323-225013_Samsung Notes.jpg

I was trying a dry hatch where I add very minimal water to the incubator. This is a Magicfly Janoel12. All but two of the eggs reached the target weightloss window by D14 (today) so I dont think I am going to stay the course. I will adjust the humidity up to slow any further weightloss.
Air cells:
20200323_215835.jpg

One egg looks like it may have quit. Compared to the others there is basically no more venation, and I didnt observe any movement.
20200323_215441.jpg

Yes honestly I was kinda happy with my first hatch it was 6 eggs and 3 hatched well 4 but that was the one that died. But when it happened the second time with so many dead I got upset. That’s when I needed to know why! Ugh it does make me feel better that I’m not alone and that it is common though
I think 50% for the first couple hatches is great, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. You're replicating a natural process in an incredibly artificial environment, of course it isn't going to go perfectly every time! I'm glad you're going to try again.

9 out of 11 are out and in the brooder, wrong end egg hatched perfectly fine by it's self which is always good. one of the remaining eggs has pipped but the membrane looks a little dry (no longer nice and white) so I'll be keeping an eye one that one, the other hasn't pipped yet from what I can see.
Here are some chicks photos

Marans over OE
DSC_1926 (2).JPG

Welsummer over OE
DSC_1922 (2).JPG

Welsummer
DSC_1930 (2).JPG

F1 OE
DSC_1932 (2).JPG

OE over frizzle Araucana cross, the two remaining eggs are it's siblings
DSC_1927 (2).JPG

9 out of 11 are out and in the brooder, wrong end egg hatched perfectly fine by it's self which is always good. one of the remaining eggs has pipped but the membrane looks a little dry (no longer nice and white) so I'll be keeping an eye one that one, the other hasn't pipped yet from what I can see.
Here are some chicks photos

Marans over OE
View attachment 2060688

Welsummer over OE
View attachment 2060687

Welsummer
View attachment 2060690

F1 OE
View attachment 2060691

OE over frizzle Araucana cross, the two remaining eggs are it's siblings
View attachment 2060689
Mama Turkeys with her GoslingsView attachment 2060708

Congratulations on all the cute peeps!! Great pictures to wake up to this morning! :wee

The weak chick that I helped out of the shell seems to be making it! I'm thrilled. This is a splash chick, right?

OE BC1 chick.jpg

What's really odd is that both this chick's parents (F1 OE cockerel over wheaten marans pullet) had feathered shanks, and it is somehow clean-legged. Between the weak hatch and the clean legs I won't use it in my breeding project, but it's still intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom