Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

My Silkie and Marans hatch is offically complete, I'll get some dry pictures of all the peeps in a little it. I had a 94% hatch rate overall! (1 early quitter) :celebrate

3/23/20: 94% (started with 23, 5 infertile, 1 quitter, 17 live chicks) Version 3 Nurture Right
- 11 Marans (1 early quitter, 4 infertile)
- 12 Silkies (1 infertile)

Now my Sebastopol goslings are pipping and I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement! I feel like they've been incubating for an eternity!! :fl :bun:woot
Fingers crossed they hatch well! My hatching anxiety is still alive and well when hatching goslings. lol

My Silkie and Marans hatch is offically complete, I'll get some dry pictures of all the peeps in a little it. I had a 94% hatch rate overall! (1 early quitter) :celebrate

3/23/20: 94% (started with 23, 5 infertile, 1 quitter, 17 live chicks) Version 3 Nurture Right
- 11 Marans (1 early quitter, 4 infertile)
- 12 Silkies (1 infertile)

Now my Sebastopol goslings are pipping and I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement! I feel like they've been incubating for an eternity!! :fl :bun:woot
Fingers crossed they hatch well! My hatching anxiety is still alive and well when hatching goslings. lol
Tell me how you got that hatch rate?

According to how I do hatch rates I get something different.

Tell me how you got that hatch rate?

According to how I do hatch rates I get something different.

Hatch rate is based off of fertilized eggs because you're trying to determine hatch rate of the incubation. So it's 17 out of 18 fertilized eggs hatched, 94%.

If you're trying to calculate fertility of the flocks. In which case it's -
- 7 fertile out of 11 for the Marans (64% fertility rate, not including the early quitter)
- 10 fertile out of 11 for the Silkies (91% fertility)

Or for people that calculate lockdown percentage, there were 17 eggs at lockdown and 17 live chicks so 100%.

Newest hatch seems to have a leg issue. Its more clumsy than a regular hatchling and it prefers to have it's leg out like this. Possibly slipped tendon?
IMG_20200325_020953.jpg IMG_20200325_020234.jpg IMG_20200325_020707.jpg

Hatch rate is based off of fertilized eggs because you're trying to determine hatch rate of the incubation. So it's 17 out of 18 fertilized eggs hatched, 94%.

If you're trying to calculate fertility of the flocks. In which case it's -
- 7 fertile out of 11 for the Marans (64% fertility rate, not including the early quitter)
- 10 fertile out of 11 for the Silkies (91% fertility)

Or for people that calculate lockdown percentage, there were 17 eggs at lockdown and 17 live chicks so 100%.
I subtract all eggs from those that hatched. I feel like clears should be counted since they were in the bator

I subtract all eggs from those that hatched. I feel like clears should be counted since they were in the bator

Clears can't be held against the incubator. Your incubator can't fertilize eggs. That would be the fault of the rooster. That's why I keep documentation on all of it in case the breeder needs to know.

If I only set 4 eggs and 3 are fertilized and 3 hatch that's a 75% fertility rate for my rooster but a 100% hatch for my incubator because all of the fertilized eggs hatched. I hope that makes sense.

Clears can't be held against the incubator. Your incubator can't fertilize eggs. That would be the fault of the rooster. That's why I keep documentation on all of it in case the breeder needs to know.

If I only set 4 eggs and 3 are fertilized and 3 hatch that's a 75% fertility rate for my rooster but a 100% hatch for my incubator because all of the fertilized eggs hatched. I hope that makes sense.
I do it with clears because it shows the quality of my eggs.

I guess if you're buying eggs it's different. My rooster mates with all my girls. And I rarely have clears. I have a flock of 16 layers not including my big boy. He is a beast for real!

My drake has 50% fertility so far. Hoping it'll be 100% soon.

I do it with clears because it shows the quality of my eggs.

I guess if you're buying eggs it's different. My rooster mates with all my girls. And I rarely have clears. I have a flock of 16 layers not including my big boy. He is a beast for real!

My drake has 50% fertility so far. Hoping it'll be 100% soon.

That would mean you have both a great fertility rate and hatch rate. ;) Kudos to Squatch! :thumbsup

That would mean you have both a great fertility rate and hatch rate. ;) Kudos to Squatch! :thumbsup
That's why I didn't get rid of him. He's create a bigger offspring than a standard chicken, which I like. They get attacked a lot less than a standard bird. No hawk will challenge squatch, he's bigger than a turkey buzzard and Raven so I'm sure he looks intimidating on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom