Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Yes honestly I was kinda happy with my first hatch it was 6 eggs and 3 hatched well 4 but that was the one that died. But when it happened the second time with so many dead I got upset. That’s when I needed to know why! Ugh it does make me feel better that I’m not alone and that it is common though

I’m just catching up on this thread now and I feel your pain! I had like 8 chicks dead in shell at the end of my last hatch. It sucks. And it can happen because too dry or too wet or for other reasons. Just curious, have you considered weighing eggs? It takes a lot of the guesswork out of the humidity. Just a thought that might give you peace of mind next time around.

I still need to catch up with this whole thread, but I wanted to update you all. We had three hatched last night when we went to bed, and 7 hatched when I woke up. Two more have hatched today, five more are pipped. I had to toss most of the serama eggs that were left - they all died, I’m not sure why. I opened a few up and the chick was fully formed and internally pipped, just dead. Breaks my heart but I’m so happy with the other little fluffballs. They all seem to be silkie mixes - which was a huge surprise! But I’m thrilled!
4E23257F-F784-414C-94CF-28C70AA5FE79.jpeg C4A74AF1-1755-427D-8A13-3DD676FF635C.jpeg 4FFC54FA-D8D5-4B71-ACF5-C7E97D2C3C9F.jpeg BA731F0A-3626-446F-A54C-CABAE4B47369.jpeg

I still need to catch up with this whole thread, but I wanted to update you all. We had three hatched last night when we went to bed, and 7 hatched when I woke up. Two more have hatched today, five more are pipped. I had to toss most of the serama eggs that were left - they all died, I’m not sure why. I opened a few up and the chick was fully formed and internally pipped, just dead. Breaks my heart but I’m so happy with the other little fluffballs. They all seem to be silkie mixes - which was a huge surprise! But I’m thrilled!
View attachment 2061396View attachment 2061397View attachment 2061398View attachment 2061400

I'm sorry to hear about your Seramas. Your peeps are adorable! :jumpy

Just look at these gangly tweenagers! They will be 3 weeks old next week! These have got to be the snuggliesy birds I have ever raised. It makes such a difference hanging out with them every day in the brooder!

I think one of the splash marans is a roo for sure. He is definitely not as feathered out as his sibling and has s larger comb already! We'll see if I'm right.

Attachments

• 20200324_195042.jpg
    20200324_195042.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 5
Just look at these gangly tweenagers! They will be 3 weeks old next week! These have got to be the snuggliesy birds I have ever raised. It makes such a difference hanging out with them every day in the brooder!

I think one of the splash marans is a roo for sure. He is definitely not as feathered out as his sibling and has s larger comb already! We'll see if I'm right.
My bantams are still tiny but tons of feathers

Some Serama lines are prone to that, it sucks. Once you hear them chirping and know they’ve internally pipped, a safety hole will sometimes do the trick. It isn’t an exact science, but I’ve had some luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom