Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Figured I would do one last update for March. On day 45 today and was trying to get the emu eggs to wiggle, almost desperately, this evening. The first egg I tried for about 5 minutes, when I went to put it back in the incubator I had moved my hand too fast. It jolted the egg a bit, but I felt something. That something that I felt was sloshing. Of liquid.

Needless to say, I tested all of the eggs this way after I felt that. They’re all liquid. I haven’t opened them up and won’t until Saturday. But they’re no good.

Happy hatching everyone! Your baby fluffy butts are adorable.

I’m taking a break for a bit. Too much negative stuff has happened since the start of the year. Going to regroup and try again later.

Figured I would do one last update for March. On day 45 today and was trying to get the emu eggs to wiggle, almost desperately, this evening. The first egg I tried for about 5 minutes, when I went to put it back in the incubator I had moved my hand too fast. It jolted the egg a bit, but I felt something. That something that I felt was sloshing. Of liquid.

Needless to say, I tested all of the eggs this way after I felt that. They’re all liquid. I haven’t opened them up and won’t until Saturday. But they’re no good.

I’m taking a break for a bit. Too much negative stuff has happened since the start of the year. Going to regroup and try again later.

Sorry to hear about your emu eggs, my son was making me give him updates on them and he said sorry the babies didn't make it

My early March hatch... and I am wondering if any of you have made that observation....
My very first hatch ever was in February... slightly more roosters (from what I can tell)... they were lovely...talkative but not loud. There was some fighting, running... just a very balanced bunch.
Then came my early March hatch 41 chicks... loud, just really noisy! It was mainly jumping...and only a little running... and basically no fighting. They were so noisy that I moved them into the coop at just 8 days old. Now at 2.5 weeks I can pretty much tell that hatch was mainly girls. I can tell by the color. Were they noisy because they were girls? :eek:

My late March hatch... totally quiet. I sometimes checked on them because there was no noise... lots of fighting, lots of running. There were only 11 but I think I will have a bunch of roosters. I am keeping an eye on this to find out if that is true or just by chance.

Here is a picture of the early March hatch bunch... one rooster in the front a little darker... the rest all girls...

Attachments

• 20200325_082546.jpg
    20200325_082546.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 8

:hugs I'm so sorry to hear this! Especially after hand turning the eggs for so long! I learned so much from watching your experience and I really appreciate you sharing it with us. Maybe one day I'll still attempt an emu hatch myself.

I hope things start looking up (for the whole country)! ❤

My early March hatch... and I am wondering if any of you have made that observation....
My very first hatch ever was in February... slightly more roosters (from what I can tell)... they were lovely...talkative but not loud. There was some fighting, running... just a very balanced bunch.
Then came my early March hatch 41 chicks... loud, just really noisy! It was mainly jumping...and only a little running... and basically no fighting. They were so noisy that I moved them into the coop at just 8 days old. Now at 2.5 weeks I can pretty much tell that hatch was mainly girls. I can tell by the color. Were they noisy because they were girls? :eek:

My late March hatch... totally quiet. I sometimes checked on them because there was no noise... lots of fighting, lots of running. There were only 11 but I think I will have a bunch of roosters. I am keeping an eye on this to find out if that is true or just by chance.

Here is a picture of the early March hatch bunch... one rooster in the front a little darker... the rest all girls...

They look great! Sometimes you just end up with a noisy bunch. I'm actually experiencing the exact opposite right now. I have twice as many chicks in the brooder and not a peep, where as last month I was actually looking forward to them going to new homes. :lol: A lot of times the really loud ones are the males but it's not always the case and of course it's going to vary by breed as well.

They look great! Sometimes you just end up with a noisy bunch. I'm actually experiencing the exact opposite right now. I have twice as many chicks in the brooder and not a peep, where as last month I was actually looking forward to them going to new homes. :lol: A lot of times the really loud ones are the males but it's not always the case and of course it's going to vary by breed as well.
Interesting!... just the opposite. hmmm

Mama Turkeys with her GoslingsView attachment 2060708
I’m just catching up on this thread now and I feel your pain! I had like 8 chicks dead in shell at the end of my last hatch. It sucks. And it can happen because too dry or too wet or for other reasons. Just curious, have you considered weighing eggs? It takes a lot of the guesswork out of the humidity. Just a thought that might give you peace of mind next time around.
i have heard that is a good way to determine things. I’m bad at math so that gives me a bit of anxiety but I am considering it although I do have a lot of eggs. Thank you I will most likely try that you’re right

Back
Top Bottom