Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
mine likes mice but not chicks..
My youngest cat has killed at least one bird on his escapes outside. Mice, moles, lizards, all get left by the front door. I try to keep him in but sometimes he slips past me and runs off into the woods. He's a brat. I was holding a duckling for a pic the other day and he tried to bat it out of my hand. I had to kick him out of the room. But they don't try to get in the incubator. They just look and listen.

So where do you keep your incubator?

Mine is in my living room. Probably not a good idea since my 3 year olds love looking at em and sometimes touch the side table enough to rattle the eggs a little, although as each day goes by they look at them less.
Mine is in the kitchen of all places. I have a stand off to the side and both incubator and hatcher sit on that and the brooder is just below it on the floor so the eggs can hear the babies talking lol.

Good point! I mentioned earlier that I am a biologist...more specifically I am an owl biologist! So of course I just have a trusty ornithology textbook laying around. My work has never required me to be hands-on with eggs, mostly just monitoring wild owls. I've got some basics down about eggs, but there's bound to be more in here.View attachment 2032156
That's so cool! Owls are awesome.

Hehe, I'm so excited to be hatching with other chicken nerds this month! :highfive:
Ditto! My last hatch was last April. My eggs are only on day 1.5, and I want to candle so bad. My logical side says "Why? There's nothing to see yet." The other side is saying "But, but, because I want to. Maybe there is something to see!"

Candled just now,day 6. Because I am going to set another 11 eggs. All were shipped.
Out of 14.....Kinda looks like one possible blood ring and one for sure veiny, I didn’t see much in any of the others. Most appeared to have movement (light looks to be flicker/moving in the eggs.... ) but no visible veins... I guess I will have to wait to see hat next week brings.. I hope a few do something. **sigh**

Candled just now,day 6. Because I am going to set another 11 eggs. All were shipped.
Out of 14.....Kinda looks like one possible blood ring and one for sure veiny, I didn’t see much in any of the others. Most appeared to have movement (light looks to be flicker/moving in the eggs.... ) but no visible veins... I guess I will have to wait to see hat next week brings.. I hope a few do something. **sigh**

Fingers crossed! Are they dark eggs? Sorry, I have a hard time remembering what everyone is hatching unless they're constantly reminding me, lol.

Back
Top Bottom