Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
I am definitely not a pro by ANY means. But...that does look a little small to me. I would drop the humidity, but I’m sure someone else will chime in. I personally incubate closer to 30% humidity, but it doesn’t always seem to depend on the eggs.
Yup, that's exactly what I was going to say. In my incubator/region, 48% would be too high. You're going to bump the humidity up after day 18 for the hatch, so this is your best window to correct and make sure the air cells are big enough. As I've said upstream, my personal preference is to err on the side of a bit too dry, because sticky chicks and drownings are no fun.

I think they will be just fine by day 14 if you run a little lower humidity. Oh, and this thingy has been priceless. I can add water to my incubator through the vent hole without opening it and removing water is also much easier with it. I got it on amazon. View attachment 2033543
I use something similar, a large dispensing syringe with a very long needle that can fit through the mesh at the bottom of my incubator. I also like using cut up sponges, because I feel like they keep the humidity stable level without having to fill a trough with water frequently. Allows me to keep it in the 30-40 range pretty consistently.

I use something similar, a large dispensing syringe with a very long needle that can fit through the mesh at the bottom of my incubator. I also like using cut up sponges, because I feel like they keep the humidity stable level without having to fill a trough with water frequently. Allows me to keep it in the 30-40 range pretty consistently.

Good to know about the sponges. I used some at lockdown last time but didn’t think to try it during day 1-18.

You are doing duck eggs right? I was just wondering if you could give me a few pointers about incubating duck eggs because I am getting 34 of them tonight from someone we met that is local. He doesn't know how to incubate so he would like me to incubate his eggs for him, and I want to make sure that I do my best.

They were asking me so many questions today about how many will hatch and when I'll know how many will hatch and I had to explain to them that up until the point of lockdown anything can happen and even after lockdown anything can happen.

I told them to expect no more than half to hatch since this is the first time I'm doing duck eggs and it is the first time that his duck eggs are being incubated.
Hey sorry I just seen this. This is my first time hatching ducks. I asked for info from the duck board. I candled this morning and all 4 are still alive. I cool them and spray them once a day. Other then that I haven't done anything different then I do with chicken eggs. I have chicken eggs in the same incubator with the duck eggs that are due to hatch at the same time. Good luck

Hey sorry I just seen this. This is my first time hatching ducks. I asked for info from the duck board. I candled this morning and all 4 are still alive. I cool them and spray them once a day. Other then that I haven't done anything different then I do with chicken eggs. I have chicken eggs in the same incubator with the duck eggs that are due to hatch at the same time. Good luck
I'm not cooling or spraying mine. I'm on day 10 and they seem to be fine.

I found the hatch-a-long!! yay!!
Just candled my eggs and out of 50 eggs, 44 are still in the race! The little fuzz balls should be hatching on the 8th. I am hatching wheaten Sulmtaler only this time.
I have never heard of this breed, so I had to look them up. They look so cool! Like a cross between a salmon faverolle and a CCL.

I'm not cooking or spraying mine. I'm on day 10 and they seem to be fine.
I've done duck eggs twice. First time I did it just like chickens. Only one hatched and it was with assistance. The rest died in the shell at hatch. Last time I followed a guide, cooled and misted starting on day 10. All 6 that made it to lockdown hatched without assistance. That's my tiny bit of experience.

Should I be cooling and spraying my eggs?

I've seen people who do this and who don't do this... I've seen better hatch rates with those who don't do it. Am I stupid for not spraying mine?

I'm going to take a pic of one of the eggs and see if I can show y'all what they look like

I've done duck eggs twice. First time I did it just like chickens. Only one hatched and it was with assistance. The rest died in the shell at hatch. Last time I followed a guide, cooled and misted starting on day 10. All 6 that made it to lockdown hatched without assistance. That's my tiny bit of experience.
So I can do it like now? It's day 10 for me. What kind of water do I spray with? Distilled or my filtered well water? Should it be warm or cool water?

Back
Top Bottom