Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
I've been watching candling videos to get my fix 😂😂😂 I did a quick candle on one egg today because I had to change out the egg plate in the bator since the correct one arrived today (woohoo!). Air cell looked good, yolk is now visible so I'm taking that as a good sign. I read that on white eggs you can sometimes see tiny "spider veins" at this stage (D4), but I didn't see any. Hoping to see some "beans" on Sunday!
It's easier to see after day 7 I usually candle day 10 day 18 and that's it unless there is a problem for some reason.

I think the more I incubate eggs the more I’ll probably let them be longer. I’m hoping that’s how it will go at least 😂

My eggs are common breeds, white leghorn, olive eggers and black jersey giants. Does that make it easier to hatch than rare breeds or it’s all depending on how well it was fertilized and the temperature and humidity and quality of eggs?

I think the more I incubate eggs the more I’ll probably let them be longer. I’m hoping that’s how it will go at least 😂

My eggs are common breeds, white leghorn, olive eggers and black jersey giants. Does that make it easier to hatch than rare breeds or it’s all depending on how well it was fertilized and the temperature and humidity and quality of eggs?

It's not necessarily how common or rare the breed is that makes hatching more difficult, though there are definitely some breeds with genetic traits that reduce hatchability. How the flock is managed, how the eggs are handled and stored, how old the eggs are, how far the eggs traveled, altitude changes, even the time of year, can all have an effect.

The eggs have arrived! The dozen I wasn't expecting until tomorrow actually showed up before the other two.

Attachments

• 20200220_140329.jpg
    20200220_140329.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 5
I rarely candle before day 18, it can be done :lau It is hard though.

I'm sure I'll end up doing at least my first batch on day 7 this year though, because I'm doing so many that I'll want to pull clears as early as possible. But overall, I like being very hands-off about it.
I have never incubated before, so I feel like I have some stuff to learn by candling! I'm sure as I get more experienced, the novelty will wear off and I'll be able to hold off and just let them do their thing!

Back
Top Bottom