Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
I can't do that part with shutting off the incubator i have 3 chicken eggs in there as well. I don't want to kill them because I think they're my polishes eggs.

I took them out and put them on a towel and sprayed them
I only had duck eggs in mine. Made it easy. But I'm sure taking out is the same. I sprayed from day 10 until lockdown. Did not spray the last few days.

I only had duck eggs in mine. Made it easy. But I'm sure taking out is the same. I sprayed from day 10 until lockdown. Did not spray the last few days.
Yeah it says not to after day 25. Good thing @two j farm wrote back. Now I can experiment 😁 I love a good experiment. I need to write this in my notebook also so I don't forget what I did when I report back at my hatch rate when this is all over with

The spraying of the eggs is actually to help the eggs to lose more weight. The water is room temperature (to slightly warmed if your room is cold) when sprayed on the eggs and allowed to evaporate before placing the eggs back in the incubator. This process helps the eggs to lose weight through evaporation and increases air cell size. So whether your monitoring air cell size or weight you can spray based on what the eggs need.

The spraying of the eggs is actually to help the eggs to lose more weight. The water is room temperature (to slightly warmed if your room is cold) when sprayed on the eggs and allowed to evaporate before placing the eggs back in the incubator. This process helps the eggs to lose weight through evaporation and increases air cell size. So whether your monitoring air cell size or weight you can spray based on what the eggs need.
I'm keeping 12 not sprayed to see what happens. This would be way easier if I didn't put those chicken eggs in 🤷🏼‍♀️

What I'm seeing 👀 it's weird candling duck eggs at day 10 because chicken eggs you see a way bigger embryo. I'm so used to chicken eggs. By the way you guys freaked me out about dry incubation with duck eggs so I added 30 ml of water... Putting these notes and what I did in my handy dandy notebook.

IMG_20200223_132543.jpg

IMG_20200223_132517.jpg

I'm keeping 12 not sprayed to see what happens. This would be way easier if I didn't put those chicken eggs in 🤷🏼‍♀️

Good luck! I love doing comparison hatching experiments myself too. The porosity of the eggs is what will make the biggest difference on whether or not to spray them. The image of your candling looks like the eggs are from young layers and may benefit from the spraying so I look forward to your updates!

Good luck! I love doing comparison hatching experiments myself too. The porosity of the eggs is what will make the biggest difference on whether or not to spray them. The image of your candling looks like the eggs are from young layers and may benefit from the spraying so I look forward to your updates!
Yeah they're not my ducks so I'm unsure what age they are. The person actually called me when I was hospitalized and I had a temperature of 104 so I was pretty out of it when I told him that I would hatch all these eggs for him 😂 I basically just told him to collect eggs for 10 days and that I would pick them up after he was done collecting.

I also asked for 3 ducklings in return 🤷🏼‍♀️ I thought it was a fair barter.

I've been doing a lot of experiments with eggs lately because all of my chickens lay fertile eggs so we have an abundance. Right now my chicken egg experiment is what's going to come out of this small tiny egg that we keep finding. I really think it's from the Polish but I'm not sure , so it will be a surprise to all of us when I post a picture on March 5th 😂

Back
Top Bottom