Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Yes, we trimmed near our English orpingtons vents. The biggest egg in the incubator is from our splash English orpington hen. We could barely fit it in the slot:lol:! She is older and not laying eggs as much so we are hoping that one hatches:fl
I am a sucker for splash coloring! Splash birds look like they belong in an impressionist painting 😍

I can't believe I'm joining this hatch along. Last spring my son was promised some ducklings. I thought he'd forgotten but he saw some at the farm store and promptly remembered our deal. Being me I asked if he would rather buy some there or hatch some. He said hatch! Now we'll be getting a dozen local mixed breed duck eggs. The seller hasn't hatched yet this year but said when he does he has good fertility and hatch rates.

Hatching ducks will be a first for us. Although we've kept them on and off over the years. I've been reading up on their hatching techniques. I think I'll go off of this hatching guide. I know this farm is the "go to" for hatcheries. Good enough for me.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/IncubatingAndHatching.cfm

I can't believe I'm joining this hatch along. Last spring my son was promised some ducklings. I thought he'd forgotten but he saw some at the farm store and promptly remembered our deal. Being me I asked if he would rather buy some there or hatch some. He said hatch! Now we'll be getting a dozen local mixed breed duck eggs. The seller hasn't hatched yet this year but said when he does he has good fertility and hatch rates.

Hatching ducks will be a first for us. Although we've kept them on and off over the years. I've been reading up on their hatching techniques. I think I'll go off of this hatching guide. I know this farm is the "go to" for hatcheries. Good enough for me.

It's a first time for me hatching ducks too this month.

:yesss: Great to see you joining in @UThobbyfarmer ! Good luck on your ducky hatch! I can't wait to see pictures of everyone's ducklings!!

Can anyone tell me when white crested polish start laying? I have 2 that will be a year old in April and they aren't laying. They are separated from the rest of the chickens so I know for sure they have never laied.

Are you sure it's a girl? My spring-hatched polishes have always started laying before winter solstice of their first year.

Are you sure it's a girl? My spring-hatched polishes have always started laying before winter solstice of their first year.

Sorry, I read that as "2 years" for some reason. It's not outside the realm of possibility that they're just being slow to mature. I've got a May-hatched olive egger that is 100% a female and still withholding, while everyone else has started.

Hmm, I may need a lesson in chick hatching math this month...I have 12 Olive Eggers and 4 Sebastopol goose eggs in incubators already and I'm waiting to pick up 2 dozen BBS Marans, 1 Dozen Ayam Cemanis, and 1 Dozen Bantam Buff Cochins. That's 60 chicken eggs and 4 goose eggs. I will just barely be able to fit all of these eggs in the 4 incubators I have running :lau Maybe I need to set the Hovabator back up too? lol
Too bad we aren't closer . . . I'd help you out. ;)

Sorry, I read that as "2 years" for some reason. It's not outside the realm of possibility that they're just being slow to mature. I've got a May-hatched olive egger that is 100% a female and still withholding, while everyone else has started.

Omg you have a May baby that’s not laying?! And I’m over here stalking for eggs from my September pullets already. 😂 I guess I better not hold my breath.

I’m so excited! I just placed my order for a dozen hatching eggs from Sky Girl Farm. She has a group of Black Ameraucanas directly from Paul Smith and she agreed to sell me a half dozen of their eggs. She usually just sells mixed ameraucana lots with white and lavender too, but I only need black. I also got 1/2 dozen of her Black Copper Marans.
I’m going to keep all the chicks that hatch from that group so I’ll be selling all the ones from my current batch, because I only want to grow out one group of chicks this season so they need to hatch within a week or so of each other. Sky Girl Farm eggs wont ship for a couple weeks so, I just asked Gypsy Hen if I can get a full dozen of her BBS Ameraucanas so hopefully I can get that timing to line up and I’ll growout all those babies too. I’m excited for the April hatch along now and it’s still Feb. 😂

I got my new blue Ameraucana cockerel the other day, so everything is falling into place for my Olive Egger and Ameraucana project.

Back
Top Bottom